The 2006 VCAs Begin

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:07 pm

How exactly would you prevent the winner of Video of the Year from winning other categories, considering voting is done all at once, and we don't have people e.g., rank their options, only pick one? Just ignoring all the votes for it would not be statisticly valid.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

KaneDragon
Org Profile

Post by KaneDragon » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:19 pm

Maybe let people nominate a first and second place video for that category in the final round?

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:49 am

Yea.

I mean, when I think of video of the year, it encompasses nearly all the categories. It should be presumed that it goes above and beyond the video's genre, and operates on a higher level than your a-typical insert-genre-here amv.

It's redundant for video of the year to win another category.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:11 am

Moonlight Soldier wrote:
inthesto wrote:SUGGESTION: Video that wins "Video Of The Year" is ineligible to win in other categories

Not to try and penalize it, but as I wrote in IRC, if it wins Video of the Year, we can assume it kicks ass in all other departments, so we can make room for other things to win.

Other people give that idea the thumbs up?
I second that motion.
I move the matter be voted on by those with the power to decide such things.

However, I go further and ask that the same be considered for Creator of the Year. If that creator also happens to be, say, a rookie, or some other type of editor with a category, that creator should not be eligible for Rookie of the Year or such other awards.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Devil^Shin
Org Profile

Post by Devil^Shin » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:17 am

ok I have problem with audio source of one of my amv's - Has ambiguous music: YES Project Champions ; When I upload amv I dont know who band did the song ( We Are The Champions (japan cover) ), but I find out it was band named - Kween. I request locked video info, but its pending about 4-5 days. Pls Phade or someone of mods to confirm Video Music Correction. 10x in advance.
Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forstall my return.

To become the dew that quenches the land, To spare the sands, the seas, the skies, I offer thee this silent sacrifice.

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:25 am

derobert wrote:How exactly would you prevent the winner of Video of the Year from winning other categories, considering voting is done all at once, and we don't have people e.g., rank their options, only pick one? Just ignoring all the votes for it would not be statisticly valid.
Just do it after all the votes roll in.

This is, vote normally, and if the Video of the Year happens to win any other categories, knock it off from the winning pedestal and hand the prize to the next video in line.

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:53 pm

inthesto wrote:This is, vote normally, and if the Video of the Year happens to win any other categories, knock it off from the winning pedestal and hand the prize to the next video in line.
That isn't statisticly valid.

You can't throw out a the votes of a large subset of a population and then pretend that the remaining subset's votes represent the entire population unless the selection of the subset to throw out is random[1].

Example: If the video of the year is a comedy, you'll wind up with comedy underrepresented in many other categories, as you threw out the voters who prefer comedy.

If we're going to exclude the video of the year from winning other categories, we need to either (a) get a full ranking for every vote; (b) hold the election in two rounds, with video of the year first.

[1] Well, strictly speaking, there needs to be no correlation in the subset. This clearly doesn't apply here.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:57 pm

How about changing the voting system so that instead of just choosing your favorite video out of the nominations, you RANK the nominations? Then you toss out the winner, and the results are still valid.

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:01 pm

Zarxrax wrote:How about changing the voting system so that instead of just choosing your favorite video out of the nominations, you RANK the nominations? Then you toss out the winner, and the results are still valid.
Yeah, that'd be (a) in my message above.

Unknown_Riku
Org Profile

Post by Unknown_Riku » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:06 am

I just have a small question.

Now it says that you can't have any vids that aren't uploaded, so on, but I was one of the people that got their vid taken down because of the group and I really don't want the entry to be deleted cause I was very proud and happy to see it well recieved. Does that mean I'll be disquallified if I don't remove it?

Return to “Site Announcements”