MSU Video Codec - how does it work?

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
SrgtWilco
Org Profile

MSU Video Codec - how does it work?

Post by SrgtWilco » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:30 pm

Okay, I've downloaded the MSU codec installer from the homepage, I have THAT on my desktop, and when I click it it says that the codec has been installed successfully, but there isn't an icon for the program on the desktop. Is there something I'm missing here? I don't know if this is how it's supposed to work, but if it is, please tell me how I'm supposed to use it.

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:20 pm

Check where you select the compressor when you go to export your video.

If the interface is anything like Premiere Pro 1.5, just go to file -> export -> movie

There should be a settings button or something like that. What you are looking for is a compressor setting under video. It will likely be a drop down box with a list of every codec on your pc. Look through the list and see if the codec is there.

Installing a codec does not put it on the desktop as a shortcut. Only the installer would be there. The installer puts the filed in the correct folder inside the OS for it to function properly with your software like Premiere.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:21 pm

Video codecs do not have interfaces like the executable programs you're used to (they usually have interfaces for setting encoding and decoding options, but that's not the same thing).

When you try to play back a video file that requires a certain codec in a media player such as WiMP or WinAmp, the codec kicks in in the background and decodes the video so that the media player can play it.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

SrgtWilco
Org Profile

Post by SrgtWilco » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:56 pm

Krisqo wrote:Check where you select the compressor when you go to export your video.

If the interface is anything like Premiere Pro 1.5, just go to file -> export -> movie

There should be a settings button or something like that. What you are looking for is a compressor setting under video. It will likely be a drop down box with a list of every codec on your pc. Look through the list and see if the codec is there.

Installing a codec does not put it on the desktop as a shortcut. Only the installer would be there. The installer puts the filed in the correct folder inside the OS for it to function properly with your software like Premiere.
What if I want the video files I have compressed before I import and use them on premiere? See, I've been having problems with frames getting mixed around, and from what I hear it has to do with the size of the original file.

Moonie
Give me some candy!
Org Profile

Post by Moonie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:04 pm

If you wanna have your clips enocded with that before you import them in premier
you need to open your clip in virtual dub and select that codec to encode them with.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:38 pm

SrgtWilco wrote:
Krisqo wrote:Check where you select the compressor when you go to export your video.

What if I want the video files I have compressed before I import and use them on premiere? See, I've been having problems with frames getting mixed around, and from what I hear it has to do with the size of the original file.
I was just using that as an example to find whether you had the codec installed properly. You could do the same thing with VDubMod by going to video -> comprssion and scrolling through the list.

If you want the clips you will be editing with encoded with MSU then do what Moonie says. Make the clips in VDubMod and export with MSU as the compressor.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”