Total newbie question about premiere pro

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
andyzhang2
Org Profile

Total newbie question about premiere pro

Post by andyzhang2 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:06 am

I've been using Movie Maker, and it seems as if premiere pro does not let you split a large video file, and only lets you trim it.

Is it at all possible to split the video like you can in movie maker to make the clips on your window more specific and managable, or do i need to use another program to split the actual file?

Also, does premiere pro have any really big problem codecs? What happens when you use these problem codecs w/ premiere pro?

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:09 am

Very few editing programs besides WMM split the clips automatically for you. You'll have to do it yourself, using VirtualDubMod. Read all about it in the EADFAG.

Also, don't use DivX or XviD-encoded clips in any editing programs, because these cause the program to become very unstable, and most likely your clips will show up black or cause the program to crash altogether.

Purge
Org Profile

Post by Purge » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:50 am

use in and out points to select a smaller clip from large clips with premiere not the trimmer.

gypsy
Org Profile

Post by gypsy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:44 am

have you tried using the "cut / splice " tool ?
Cheers vir eers

andyzhang2
Org Profile

Post by andyzhang2 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:27 pm

well the in and out points can cut a clip down, but it won't change the clip in your media library will it? It'll only edit how long the clip plays for in the timeline. The cut/splice tool or razor or w/e it's called does the same thing i think. It just cuts the clip in your timeline, but it remains the whole clip in your media library.

It would be easier to work w/ files that are whole episodes if you could cut stuff w/ the editor itself, since i'd rather not have to set in and out points for an episode and then just have all the clips in the timeline somewhere, it's kind of messy.

I guess i'd have to use virtualdubmod or something.

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:29 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:Very few editing programs besides WMM split the clips automatically for you. You'll have to do it yourself, using VirtualDubMod. Read all about it in the EADFAG.

Also, don't use DivX or XviD-encoded clips in any editing programs
for emphysis
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:30 pm

and ya, vdubmod has a batch mode. use that
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:01 pm

andyzhang2 wrote:well the in and out points can cut a clip down, but it won't change the clip in your media library will it?
no but why would you want to split up your library? Select the in and out points and then drag the preview window into the timeline. Then, only the clip you selected will be added to the timeline. Tis is actually a lot better than WMM's auto-cut, becauseyou choose exactly where to cut, when and how and it's easier to stay organized.

Trust me, when you get used to it, you'll wonder how you didn't kill yourself because of the auto-cut.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:19 pm

Gepetto wrote:
andyzhang2 wrote:well the in and out points can cut a clip down, but it won't change the clip in your media library will it?
no but why would you want to split up your library? Select the in and out points and then <b>drag the preview window into the timeline.</b>
Alternatively, click the Overlay button, or just hit ".".

And the In and Out points can be set by hitting I and O, respectively.

(Keyboard shortcuts are a wonderful thing and I wish I knew more of them.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

andyzhang2
Org Profile

Post by andyzhang2 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:57 am

Tis is actually a lot better than WMM's auto-cut, becauseyou choose exactly where to cut, when and how and it's easier to stay organized.
You can choose where to cut in wmm...you just go to a place you want to cut it and hit the split button. The benefit of this is if you're working with large files that are 30 minutes long, and several of them, you don't have to work by memory or notes as far as the clips you have available for a certain sequence in the movie. You can just select the smaller clip in your media library thing and see if it works.

I guess if you don't cut the files w/ vdubmod first, you'd have to reset the in and out points to a clip of a 30 minute episode every time you wanted to see if it worked, which could become a pain.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”