Programs like AE?

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Programs like AE?

Post by CrackTheSky » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:18 pm

Are there any programs out there that do the same kind of things as After Effects, but for a reasonably cheaper price?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:49 pm

I think AE is pretty much mid-range/low-range for that type of software. Similar apps like Shake/Motion or Combustion tend to cost even higher.

Editing software like Premiere Pro and Vegas are continually gaming more compositing and motion features that may be able to satisfy your needs.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:50 pm

that was meant to say "continually gaining"

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:34 pm

Jesus, $600+ for After Effects is the cheapest on the market?

Xarathion
Org Profile

Post by Xarathion » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:41 pm

Unless you're a student, and get a discount.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:54 pm

If you know how to win at the internets real good, you can get a REAL nice discount. <3

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:01 pm

DJ_Izumi wrote:If you know how to win at the internets real good, you can get a REAL nice discount. <3
Tyler wrote:The <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... 9">seventh rule of the A-M-V.org forum</a> is that you DO NOT TALK about illegally obtaining stuff.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:04 pm

My post said nothing about breaking the law. If you interpreted as such, it's your problem not mine.
Maybe I was talking about internet coupons! Or discount software websites! Or cybersexing up an Adobe employee!

madbunny
Org Profile

Re: Programs like AE?

Post by madbunny » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:19 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:Are there any programs out there that do the same kind of things as After Effects, but for a reasonably cheaper price?
Sure. It depends on what you're trying to do. Most of what I see AE being used for is masking, which you can do (painfully) with pretty much any image editor, or even the garbage matte in premiere.

If you want 3D effects, you can always use a 3D app for that, and apply your animations to the polygons from within the app. This might require that you learn some new skills however. Honestly, MOST of the normal run of the mill effects and such can usually be done in a variety of ways. AE just happens to be a program that specializes in it's area, and is good at what it does.

If you're student, or KNOW a student: AE alone or The whole enchilada for slightly more Seriously good deal for all that stuff.

DJ Izumi's post, while seeming to indicate that you should do something wrong, probably means try Ebay for older versions.
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Re: Programs like AE?

Post by trythil » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:07 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:Are there any programs out there that do the same kind of things as After Effects, but for a reasonably cheaper price?
What are you trying to do in After Effects? I doubt it's everything AE can do.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”