some technical terms in amv that i fail to understand

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
salemshady
Org Profile

some technical terms in amv that i fail to understand

Post by salemshady » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:00 pm

and googling it isnt helping much either..

is there a sticky where they explain all these technical terms?? i thought it'd be just awesome for the noobs like us. if not then.. here we go starting with the first three:

1)masking
2) rendering
3)pan and crop!

thank you

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:30 pm

masking: using an image, color or other (like luma, chroma, etc) to make part of a video segment tansparent

rendering: this is used a few different ways. Rendering can mean making a preview in a program so that you can see your progress in said program. This means that you don't have to export every time you want to see how you're doing.
I'd like for someone else to confirm this or debunk it: Rendering can also mean exporting from a program.

I think you mean pan and scan...
you can look at the glossary of terms in EADFAG for this and other terms you may not know

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:57 pm

Rendering: Technically, it just means generating the image. When you watch a video clip, it is being "rendered" to your screen. This term is often used interchangably with "preview" or "export".

Pan: up/down or sideways motion across a video or image.
Crop: Cut off a side of the video.

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:02 pm

thanks.. that helped!!

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:30 am

Masking: it is a term in painting where you cover all or part of a portion of an area or object so you only paint the sections you want to paint. For example, if you are painting your all-white walls blue, but want to leave the trim around your windows white, you mask off the window trim (usually with tape made specifically for this purpose called "masking tape"). Then you can paint your walls and the area around the windows without worrying about getting blue paint on the white trim, since the masking tape will protect the window trim from being accidentally painted on. Then remove the masking tape to reveal nice, crisp lines separating the blue of the wall and the white of the trim.

Rendering: the process of converting waste animal tissue produced from the slaughtering of animals for food into feed meal for animals and other products like glues and greases. The processes are not something that I want to detail here...

Pan: either 1) a fry pan - a cooking implement generally used for frying and sauteing, or 2) baking pan - a large cooking dish or tray with raised sides used in baking. The first type of pan is usually having a round, circular shape with sloped, shallow sides and a handle for holding/moving, pans are typically available in sizes from 6" to 12" in diameter and sides that rise to about 2" to 4". Do not confuse pans with pots, which have much higher sides and are used in making soups, stews and sauces. Common materials that pans are made of include, iron, aluminum and steel. Another popular variation is a metal pan coated with a non-stick material like Teflon.

Crop: cultivated plants considered in a group: "the corn crop" or the total amount of such products produced in a certain place or season: "this year's orange crop was about average".

And yes, I took this joke post way past the point of amusing to annoying. Even I got tired of this joke about halfway through typing it. I blame the lack of sleep (again). BTW, googling "masking" and "rendering" bring up primarily image/graphics-related pages. Googling "pan" brings up GTK+ newsreader, Greek mythology, and pesticide related pages. "Crop" brings up agriculture, poverty research, and cosmic ray research related pages. :P
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:23 am

Willen wrote:Masking: it is a term in painting where you cover all or part of a portion of an area or object so you only paint the sections you want to paint. For example, if you are painting your all-white walls blue, but want to leave the trim around your windows white, you mask off the window trim (usually with tape made specifically for this purpose called "masking tape"). Then you can paint your walls and the area around the windows without worrying about getting blue paint on the white trim, since the masking tape will protect the window trim from being accidentally painted on. Then remove the masking tape to reveal nice, crisp lines separating the blue of the wall and the white of the trim.

Rendering: the process of converting waste animal tissue produced from the slaughtering of animals for food into feed meal for animals and other products like glues and greases. The processes are not something that I want to detail here...

Pan: either 1) a fry pan - a cooking implement generally used for frying and sauteing, or 2) baking pan - a large cooking dish or tray with raised sides used in baking. The first type of pan is usually having a round, circular shape with sloped, shallow sides and a handle for holding/moving, pans are typically available in sizes from 6" to 12" in diameter and sides that rise to about 2" to 4". Do not confuse pans with pots, which have much higher sides and are used in making soups, stews and sauces. Common materials that pans are made of include, iron, aluminum and steel. Another popular variation is a metal pan coated with a non-stick material like Teflon.

Crop: cultivated plants considered in a group: "the corn crop" or the total amount of such products produced in a certain place or season: "this year's orange crop was about average".

And yes, I took this joke post way past the point of amusing to annoying. Even I got tired of this joke about halfway through typing it. I blame the lack of sleep (again). BTW, googling "masking" and "rendering" bring up primarily image/graphics-related pages. Googling "pan" brings up GTK+ newsreader, Greek mythology, and pesticide related pages. "Crop" brings up agriculture, poverty research, and cosmic ray research related pages. :P
I'm ashamed of you and I didn't even read this post of yours. :x

Bad Willen :evil:

Knightmrinarmr
Org Profile

Post by Knightmrinarmr » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:21 am

Kariudo wrote: I'd like for someone else to confirm this or debunk it: Rendering can also mean exporting from a program.

Yes, in Vegas the term it uses for exporting is 'Render As'

madbunny
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:15 pm

What ZarXrax said. Rendering just means your computer is drawing whatever you've assigned it to do.

Example: in 3d modeling, you create a scene, and then render it. When you are rendering using an editing application, it's just drawing your work. (eg cuts, effects etc..)

Render AS just means saving said render.

I suggest just getting a tutorial book such as "premiere in a book" and following it. It'll teach you probably more than you need to know.

Willien - that was awful! :D
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:47 pm

thank you all again!! i got a new term for u guys!! its MASKING!!

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”