Question on Compression

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:53 pm

if you don't want the quality to be bad when you export, you'll pretty much have to export uncompressed, or with Huffyuv or lagarith.

you could take a chance and try to encode using vegas, but I wouldn't be too suprised if it doesn't turn out great.

4 minutes uncompressed video: ~6.5GB
4minutes compressed with huffy: ~1GB
lagarith: ~850MB

one way to free up space is to delete the .vob files when you're done with them (1 episode takes about 1GB)
there are probably a few programs that you have installed that you don't use [often or at all]
or files from years (and classes) long past

Bluffmaster
Org Profile

Post by Bluffmaster » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:07 pm

i have a 700mb vidoe file how much mb wil lit be if i use one of them

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:23 pm

it depends on the length of your video (after you finish editing it)

Bluffmaster
Org Profile

Post by Bluffmaster » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:37 pm

i mean like if make it into a huffy or a lagarith or uncompreesit how much will 700mb be

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:06 pm

it sounds like that file is already compressed with huffyuv or lagarith.
Uncompressed it would probably be around 4-5GB

if this is your exported video, you can go ahead and compress it in virtualDub(/Mod) using divx, xvid or something else (but xvid is probably the best option)

you should then be able to get the filesize down to ~40MB while still having it look good (given that your video satisfies all the conditions laid out in the section of EADFAG that I linked you to above)

if it's an entire episode, a huffyuv file will probably be around 8GB. (uncompressed would be around 15GB)
you really don't want to encode an entire series with Huffyuv or lagarith, which is why it's important to take small clips in virtualdub(/mod) and encode those with huffyuv or lagarith

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:35 pm

Kariudo wrote:it sounds like that file is already compressed with huffyuv or lagarith.
He said he was using Street Fighter, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually the movie compressed with DivX/XviD...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Bluffmaster
Org Profile

Post by Bluffmaster » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:58 am

did u listen on my first post i accdently made it into a divx for somereason i didand i dont now why the hell i did it and now the quality is like ok and i dotn want the quality to be worse so i am trying to find a way for me to save the quality and still use it on Vegas that what i meant the whole timei dont want my quality get worse so i am trying to save the rest of it thank yout

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:38 am

yeah...I read the first post after I posted that.

and everything in your last post has been covered.

1:scroll through your street fighter stuff (in virtualDub(/Mod)) and find clips that you want.
2:save those clips with a lossless codec (lossless means that you won't lose any quality)
3:import into vegas
4: ????
5:profit

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:33 pm

Bluffmaster wrote:did u listen on my first post i accdently made it into a divx for somereason i didand i dont now why the hell i did it and now the quality is like ok and i dotn want the quality to be worse so i am trying to find a way for me to save the quality and still use it on Vegas that what i meant the whole timei dont want my quality get worse so i am trying to save the rest of it thank yout
am i going dyslexic? woah
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

RosenRed
Org Profile

Post by RosenRed » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:21 am

One thing I've learned about AMVs is that you need to be patient. You don't even have the patience to use punctuation...no offence:)
IMO you should find the DVD and rip it again, do it right this time, and start over. In the Guides section you will find a lot of usefull information and I strongly suggest Absolute Destiny's guide.
If you really can't afford a new HD, you will have to do more work in preparation, before you start editing. Again I prompt you to browse the guides section.
<a>Deep Into The Rabbit Hole...</a>

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”