Random Closes Premiere Pro 1.5

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.

Random Closes Premiere Pro 1.5

Postby The14thGOD » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:42 am

can't say ive had this problem as bad before...but it randomly closes during playback, any ideas? like i said it's random, during playback so that's about as best as i can explain it =P

Thanks in advance

The14thGOD
http://the14thgod.com
A man is only blind to the world, if he does not understand it.
The14thGOD

Postby Pwolf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:14 am

using xvid/divx sources?

Pwolf
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle

Postby Gepetto » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:21 am

Or it could be another codec that you've got misinstalled,

or it could be a memory problem because there's too many effects (or too much uncommented filtering in an AVS script)

or something weird with an external effect/transition that you installed. I bought a pack once, and my Premiere Pro would shut down whenever I tried playing any timeline that had an effect or transition from the pack, regardless of whether or not the seeker was even near any of these effects.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile
Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants

Postby The14thGOD » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:33 pm

They are avs scripts, from .vob files (just for future reference, if you use an .avs script with say xvid/divx well it still not work well? if so, what format to convert it to? and what program doyou use?)

the only other codec type deal i can think of is wav or mjpg?(movie jpeg or whatever the abbreviation for it is).
no crazy effects in this project, just standard ones.

Thanks in advance (for the above question) and thanks for the suggestions =D

The14thGOD
The14thGOD

Postby The14thGOD » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:34 pm

i forgot, I have 2gb of ram, and ive run many memtest's and microsofts test, and havnt come up with any errors that way. idk if that full rules it out though
The14thGOD

Postby Krisqo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:30 pm

This happens to me all the time. Usually when I try to render. Same scenario, simple edits, no effects. hell, It happened when I had one clip on the timeline. My only suggestion is to SAVE everytime you do some extensive work. Set AutoSave to 5mins or as low as it can go and teach your fingers to use <ctrl><s> every so often.
Krisqo
Cooking Oil

Postby The14thGOD » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:25 pm

Ya that's waht I've been doing. i've learned not to do changes and not safe lol,

Thanks for the help guys, any more suggestions, feel free to post em.

The14thGOD
The14thGOD

Postby Scintilla » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:37 pm

If you haven't already set your video tracks to display clip names only (that is, no thumbnail frames), I highly suggest it (for any version of Premiere, not just Pro).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Pwolf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:57 pm

you have ffdshow installed? try uninstalling that.

Pwolf
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pwolf

Postby Gox777 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:40 pm

From my experience, it sounds like premiere just being premiere. ><
I have 2 gigs of RAM and I run into the same problem. I've disabled ffdshow for the files I'm using and it doesn't seem to make a difference. One thing I notice about the problem is that the longer premiere is open and the more video playback you do, the greater the chance it has of crashing. It also likes to crash while rendering. (which is why it's become a habit of mine to save before every render I make).

Maybe splitting an amv into multiple premiere projects might help since it seems to crash less often when you're working with less imported footage at once. I haven't tried this myself
Gox777

Postby Pwolf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:44 pm

you obviously have something wrong with your computer or something wrong elsewhere...

i was editing for 9 hours the other night with Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop open the whole time while also ripping, preping, and cutting out scenes from various sources...

Premiere works fine (at least 6.5 does)...

Pwolf
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pwolf

Postby kmv » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:28 am

I see you have 2Gb of RAM, do you have SetMemoryMax at the top of your script? If not, try that.

For example:
SetMemoryMax(16)
xxxxSource(…)
etc.

Reason:
AVISynth has a long standing issue with memory buffer allocation and large amounts of physical RAM. It used to be quite an issue. In short, the more RAM you had the faster AVISynth would eat it up when using multiple instances of the program (which is the norm with the Premiere plug-in).

In Premiere 6.x this used to be called the "green screen" problem because that is what usually happened to the video when you ran out of memory – and of course it was random because a lot depended on what you had been doing and what was running on the machine.

I don’t know if the Premiere Pro plug-in is doing anything to avoid the problem (I haven’t looked) but this sounds a lot like that old problem.
kmv

Postby The14thGOD » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:29 am

I think the problem only started recently, and the only thing I did was add some filters/transitions, but I uninstalled those to see if it worked, it doesnt seem to be crashing as often but still does once in a while.

I'll try the maxmemory thing, though I am done with the video now ^_^ But I'd I can still tweak some spots I think.

I could be wrong (havnt installed it in a long time) but doesnt amvapp come with ffdshow? Or isn't it needed to playback files..?

As for the track set to names I just started to do that actually as a test. I realzed anytime u switch sequences, or from the window to get ur clip and back to the track, it has to load those everytime, and sometimes takes some time depending on the number of clips u got (tends to be a lot =P) so I made it for track names only and that sped that up.

And so far...crosses fingers...it only crashes when it's being played back. Sometimes it crashes at the same spot, so I have to like not open premiere for a bit...so I was thinkin possibly a RAM problem?(I tried restarting b4 I started editing again from 2 nights so the RAM would be clear, but it still did it eventually.)

Thanks again for your help :)

The14thGOD
The14thGOD

Postby Scintilla » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:00 pm

The14thGOD wrote:I could be wrong (havnt installed it in a long time) but doesnt amvapp come with ffdshow? Or isn't it needed to playback files..?

I don't know if it's included in the AMVapp, since I never got AMVapp 2.0 or higher. But you don't need ffdshow for playback as long as you have all the codecs you need separately. It's just easier than trying to track everything down.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Pwolf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:12 pm

what are your project settings for video set to?

Pwolf
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pwolf

Next

Return to Video Software Help Archive