Framerates, Syncing, and Distribution, Oh my!

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
MajinZero
Org Profile

Framerates, Syncing, and Distribution, Oh my!

Post by MajinZero » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:18 am

Hehe, couldn't help but place the ever-so witty and original title. :roll:

Anyway, I've run into yet another dilemma in planning out the technicalities and logistics of my AMV, this time revolving around the framerate problem illustrated by A&E's technical guide. If I'm incorrect or have misunderstood something, feel free to say so. Also, forgive my verbose way of explaining the situation:

So basically, the guide outlines one of the fundamental problems in working with Adobe Premiere. That is, its inability to work with video clips at a 23.976 fps. AbsoluteDestiny thus describes the creator's options at this point (assuming that one is aiming to work with de-interlaced video in the editing process):
Option 1: Make your video at 24fps using the source audio then change the video framerate aterwards. The audio will need to be converted to 23.976fps which degrades its quality a little.

Option 2: Make a slightly faster version of your audio, edit at 24fps with this version of the audio in Premiere. When it's made, change the video to 23.976fps and reattach your original audio. This will balance everything out so you get 23.976fps video with your original unchanged audio. This is better quality but needs more preparation in advance and you can't change your audio mid project.
Or, the third option being, if the creator needs to edit in 29.97fps while in progressive, he/she adds in the AssumeFPS(29.97) script, resulting in faster playing footage to be used in the editing process. Herein lies where I'm having trouble:

I want, if possible, to have two versions of my amv in the end. One at 23.97 fps (or 24 fps, if need be) for online distribution, and a second at 29.97 fps to enter into an amv contest. Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly how to go about this. I'd like to avoid the third option, as I personally prefer working with footage that is not sped up before the editing process (unless if I have a specific purpose for it, which at this point, I do not). As for the first two options, I would be left with a video at either 23.97 fps (or 24). At this point, a question comes to mind: Would it be possible to re-export or convert the end product into a second copy at 29.97 fps, without messing up the video/audio syncing? Would the length of the end product be extended in that fps increase?

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Framerates, Syncing, and Distribution, Oh my!

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:23 am

MajinZero wrote:I want, if possible, to have two versions of my amv in the end. One at 23.97 fps (or 24 fps, if need be) for online distribution, and a second at 29.97 fps to enter into an amv contest. Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly how to go about this. I'd like to avoid the third option, as I personally prefer working with footage that is not sped up before the editing process (unless if I have a specific purpose for it, which at this point, I do not). As for the first two options, I would be left with a video at either 23.97 fps (or 24). At this point, a question comes to mind: Would it be possible to re-export or convert the end product into a second copy at 29.97 fps, without messing up the video/audio syncing? Would the length of the end product be extended in that fps increase?
Depending on the contest you're entering the video into, all that would be needed is a pulldown flag (which would only work if you're using MPEG-2 for the submission), but I would imagine that setting Premiere's export framerate at 29.97 - which is the only one that should get touched in such a situation - would add duplicate frames, something that could probably be done with better accuracy in AviSynth with the ChangeFPS(29.97) command. Otherwise, ConvertFPS(29.97) will absolutely preserve the sync, at the expense of blending frames, but I don't know if a conversion from 24->29.97 with that function actually blends or not.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:53 am

There's a script function in the AMVapp called <b>ADTelecine</b> that is meant specifically for conversions to 29.97 interlaced. It doesn't even need any arguments; you can specify the field order if you want (0 for BFF, 1 for TFF), but if you don't, it defaults to top field first, which shouldn't cause any problems.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

MajinZero
Org Profile

Post by MajinZero » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:52 pm

Scintilla wrote:There's a script function in the AMVapp called <b>ADTelecine</b> that is meant specifically for conversions to 29.97 interlaced. It doesn't even need any arguments; you can specify the field order if you want (0 for BFF, 1 for TFF), but if you don't, it defaults to top field first, which shouldn't cause any problems.
A few questions:
1) Where in AMVapp can I find the ADTelecine script function? (I have the newest version installed atm)
2) At what stage do I apply this script function? And if I understood correctly, can it be used to export and/or convert a de-interlaced 24fps project back to a 29.97 interlaced for Con submission (And if so, does it have any of the same side effects that fps conversion would normally create)? Or is it used at the source footage creation stage?

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:23 pm

MajinZero wrote:
Scintilla wrote:There's a script function in the AMVapp called <b>ADTelecine</b> that is meant specifically for conversions to 29.97 interlaced. It doesn't even need any arguments; you can specify the field order if you want (0 for BFF, 1 for TFF), but if you don't, it defaults to top field first, which shouldn't cause any problems.
A few questions:
1) Where in AMVapp can I find the ADTelecine script function? (I have the newest version installed atm)
Look around in the .AVSI files in your AVISynth plugins directory; I don't have the AMVapp, so I don't know just which one it's in (I got Absolute Destiny's helper scripts from someone else).
MajinZero wrote:2) At what stage do I apply this script function? And if I understood correctly, can it be used to export and/or convert a de-interlaced 24fps project back to a 29.97 interlaced for Con submission (And if so, does it have any of the same side effects that fps conversion would normally create)? Or is it used at the source footage creation stage?
It's definitely meant to be used mainly at the end of the process, for con submission/DVD burning. The only side effect it has is duplicated fields -- there's no blending, no attempts at deinterlacing, or anything like that.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:09 am

Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”