[WMM] Error while playing clips/music on the timeline

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Kayley.
Org Profile

[WMM] Error while playing clips/music on the timeline

Post by Kayley. » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:28 pm

Yeah, yeah, I now it's bad to use WMM, but arranging clips in Vegas confuses the hell out of me, so I just arrange them in WMM and import them into Vegas while I'm done.

Anyway, everytime I try to play a clip of music or video on the timeline, I get the message that says that WMM has to close/reporting the error. It only messes up while on the timeline, since when I play it straight from the collection, it works fine.

Here is the first screen that appears when I click to view the technical information of the error:

Thanks. =)

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:00 pm

it may just be because WMM sucks...but it sounds like a memory error/trying to play an unsupported fromat (meaning you don't have enough physical memory or are trying to use divx/xvid footage)

the error information you included doesn't really help anybody but windows developers

if you haven't read it already this thread may help

Kayley.
Org Profile

Post by Kayley. » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:28 pm

Ha, I guess that my laptop just sucks. =P

Because my WMM doesn't work, and I can't crop videos in Vegas...

Thanks.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:39 pm

you can do cropping and resizing in virtualdub(mod)
video-filters
select the null transofrm filter (doesn't do anything...just allows you to crop)
then the greyed out button that says cropping should become clickable

Kayley.
Org Profile

Post by Kayley. » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:42 pm

Do you know a way to make an editing program like WMM? I think that what I like about WMM is the design. It automatically arranges the videos into clips, and it's easy to drag everything onto the timeline.

I've heard that there is a way to do this with Vegas. Is that true?

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:30 am

Kayley. wrote:Do you know a way to make an editing program like WMM? I think that what I like about WMM is the design. It automatically arranges the videos into clips, and it's easy to drag everything onto the timeline.

I've heard that there is a way to do this with Vegas. Is that true?
Nope. Vegas can only do that with video imported from a camcorder (it looks at the timecode info stored in the DV stream for start-stop points).

Magix Movie Edit Pro is able to do a similar thing to WMM's auto clip generation with its Scene Recognition feature. I don't use Magix's SR feature myself since I prefer to have total control over scene selection and clip making using VirtualDubMod.

As for Vegas being harder to drag stuff onto the timeline, aside from the windows being flipped (preview monitor and media sources on the bottom, timeline on top), I didn't find it any harder than WMM when I tried it. Of course, since it does have additional tracks and more options for transitions, you could be overwhelmed by the additional functionality of Vegas.

You may want to stick with Vegas and learn to make your own clips. Most people here will probably agree. You'll probably get a little better quality doing this too since you aren't adding an extra layer of processing like you are doing now with WMM > Vegas.

As for your original question, what kind of video or audio files are you trying to play back in WMM? I suspect some sort of codec issues that WMM is having with the files you are trying to edit with. XviD? MP3?
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Kayley.
Org Profile

Post by Kayley. » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:41 pm

I went to http://www.papajohn.org/ and found the solution (probably).

I think it's because when I download AMVapp, it came with a file called ffdshow.ax, and .ax files can interfere with WMM and make it crash.

Kayley.
Org Profile

Post by Kayley. » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:05 pm

I posted that just in case anyone else had the problem (I wish I could edit posts here...).

For specifics, this is how you can solve the problems:
  • In WMM2.0, you can try to rename the files (like turn .ax into .ax_). More indepth solution if you go to http://www.papajohn.org/ then Problem Solving --> Crashes and Hangs.

In WMM 2.1, go to Tools --> Options --> Compatibility. Then uncheck the problem files. You can find out which files cause problems by renaming them temporarily(like above) and seeing if your program works, then switching the file name back once you know which ones crash it.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:41 am

Ah yes. The ffdshow problem. I'm not sure if the newest ffdshow version fixes some of these issues, but at least you got WMM to work again.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”