Inverse telecining, H.264, avisynth, huffyuv

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Kaxi
Org Profile

Inverse telecining, H.264, avisynth, huffyuv

Post by Kaxi » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:11 pm

I have some questions!
1. I've read about the huffyuv video codec which is good for editing (better than divx), so I'm curious how to convert a xvid, divx or vob file into a huffyuv file. I've read something about avisynth, but it was confusing, i don't know much about writing scripts, and i didn't find a guide to make it actually work (i mean how to convert with it, what should i do with it) if you know a link where it is written down, plz give me the link.

2. Inverse telecining. I've read some guides about it, what it does and how it does it, but i didn't find the step-by-step method to make the damn thing work, i mean how to make an avi file deinterlaced (using 3-2 pulldown). I guess it can be done with Avisynth, but i don't know how to use it. If this has been discussed before (i'm sure there is a good guide but i didn't find any), plz send a link.

3.Can anyone tell me how to encode with H.264? I'm using Vegas and i'm curious how to set the program to render into mp4 with H.264 (or is it even possible?). I've tried to set the codec in the render menu (after installing CCCP), but it didn't show up, and after installing a thing called x.264, it did show up, but it couldn't render the video because of the error "the selected codec does not support the current render option", i guess it is because it is just the encoder for the codec, but i don't know.

So, if you know something about these plz write it here or link a page which contains the information i need. Thanks in advance!

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:48 pm

for your first two questions:
EADFAG has the answers.
it is a bit long, but read it all, make sure that you comprehend what is being said.
go by and do everything in the guide step by step for yourself.

It shows you how to make AviSynth scripts and how to use virtualDub(Mod).
I would suggest not encoding entire episodes with lossless codecs. Make your clips in vdubmod.
Lagarith is another lossless codec, which gives smaller filesizes compared to huffy, but is a little more resource intensive (and takes just a little longer to encode...just a little bit)

For your third question: export from vegas either with HuffYuv, Lagarith or uncompressed...then compress in vdub(Mod).
editing programs don't give you as much freedom with encoding...which almost always leads to an inferior encode
The guide goes over xvid compression in vdubmod...but x.264 is kinda similar (you'll have to play around a bit to find the best settings)
IIRC a quantizer of 22 with x.264 is comprable to a quantizer of 2 with xvid

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:36 pm

Kariudo wrote:For your third question: export from vegas either with HuffYuv, Lagarith or uncompressed...then compress in vdub(Mod).
editing programs don't give you as much freedom with encoding...which almost always leads to an inferior encode
The guide goes over xvid compression in vdubmod...but x.264 is kinda similar (you'll have to play around a bit to find the best settings)
IIRC a quantizer of 22 with x.264 is comprable to a quantizer of 2 with xvid
No, that's not a good idea. There are tomes written on the problems of encoding H.264 content that way (meaning, by VFW). To encode it the correct way, use either the command-line encoder or MeGUI.

Besides, VDubMod doesn't support outputting to MP4.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Kaxi
Org Profile

Post by Kaxi » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:01 am

Thanks for your answers!

Kariudo - i've downloaded Lagarith, but it is has no install fuction, i guess it works differently. How can i export my vegas project with this codec? Shall i copy the files i dled into a folder somewhere? Sorry for your trouble.

Qyot27 - I've downloaded MeGUI, and it works fine. Thanks for your help too.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:43 am

right click the .inf file and select install
it should look like a notepad with a gear next to it (about halfway down)

Kaxi
Org Profile

Post by Kaxi » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:05 am

Thank you very much Kariudo, it works now! ^_^

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:16 pm

Kariudo wrote: IIRC a quantizer of 22 with x.264 is comprable to a quantizer of 2 with xvid
12 + 6 * lg(2) = 12 + 6 = 18 ( i.e. not equal to 22 )

You generally don't need to aim to hover around QP=18 wih H.264, either. Things can look pretty good at higher values; I've noticed 720p encodes of some fairly complex CG looking quite good at QP=26 - 28.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”