Mac User looking for HELP! (grainy...)

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
taineyah
Org Profile

Mac User looking for HELP! (grainy...)

Post by taineyah » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:36 am

Okay, so I followed the excellent tutorial by kirin on getting the files off of the DVD and onto my MacBook Pro (which is brand new, excellent harddrive, designed for video editing, specifically!). I downloaded the latest version of OSEX, used it to rip the files. I downloaded the latest version of DiVA, used it to convert the files.

At that point, all of my footage becomes UBER grainy unless I view it at a tiny little size not much larger than the width of three fingers. It's completely unusable! I figured maybe it was an issue with preview or something (I had that problem with some claymation I did once) so I clipped it with Clip Creator 2 and threw some short scenes together in iMovie. I then exported it to see if it would look better.

No dice.

Now, I am pretty sure I followed all the steps, in succession, so I'm wondering if there is a setting change that needs to be made to agree with perhaps a minor software update to one of the aforementioned programs? For instance, maybe I have an upgraded version with an extra option not mentioned in the tutorial? Or maybe I'm just stupid, I dunno.

I'm running the OS X 10.4.6, with iMovie HD.
I have OSex 0.0110a1.
I have DiVa v 1.0.

The problem seems to be in DiVA as this is, as far as I can tell, where the degradation occurs. Perhaps a fault in my download? I am trying to use the Apple Pixlet Video codec. I also chose "Best" for both frames per second and for quality. The aspect ratio is 16:9. The resolution is 740 x 480 and the display resolution is 740 x 395.

I do not believe that I am trying to convert too large files, either, as the first clip I obtained was just shy of 4 minutes in length.

I apologise if this is too much detail, but I am aware of how impossible it is to help someone who fails to provide the most basic details of their system, etc.

If anyone has any hints as to how I might correct this issue, I would be most appreciative. I'm trying to get "Ah! My Goddess: The Movie" which is by Geneon, if that helps jog any brain cells or so forth.

Thank you!

Taineyah of Nearly Sibs Productions

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:40 am

though i doubt this is the issue since your software is all running, could it be that your using an intel processor instead of the motorolla one that was in use when those listed softwares were released?
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

taineyah
Org Profile

Post by taineyah » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:56 am

I suppose that that would be possible, but as you also said, the software is running and seems to be flawless, excepting that the video quality is so terrible as to be utterly useless. I don't see the spinning wheel of doom. It all works. So I'm at a total loss.

taineyah
Org Profile

Post by taineyah » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:07 am

*sheepish look*

When I posted my initial post, it was 1 am. I had just ripped and converted my very first files, it didn't work and I panicked.

I have now gone through and changed a setting in Clip Creator--The size of the frame. Turns out, I shrank it without knowing where to look for the setting. I found it and now everything is cool!

Sorry about that.

obh04
Org Profile

Post by obh04 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:19 pm

OSEX is a dated DVD ripper. I would suggest using Mac the Ripper. I started out using OSEX then I found one called YadeX, which I like. Then I tried Mac the Ripper, and I have using that now and it is good.

That guide for Mac users is outdated.

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:01 pm

I don't recommend using either 0Sex or DiVA. I wrote a mac guide for ripping here: http://ishtori.net/mag/dvd.php.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”