Codec and tracking problems.

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Marco262
Org Profile

Codec and tracking problems.

Post by Marco262 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:58 pm

This is a problem that's baffling me, and making me want to just rip apart my computer and reinstall everything right from the start, even though I just did that a month ago.

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro v7.0 and AMVapp v2.1, VirtualDubMod and the codecs specifically. What's bothering me is that most of the time when I encode a video clip off a *.VOB file on my hard drive with VirtualDubMod, when I import the clip into Premiere and add it to the timeline, The picture gets flipped upside-down, and the colors get changed into a pixelated mess of green, blue, purple, and many other colors. This happens when I encode my clips with Huffyuv, Helix YV12, Intel I.263, Lagarith lossless, Cinepax, DivX 6.1, and XviD. (Give or take afew, depending on how crappy my memory is this morning. The codec that doesn't fark up everything Helix I420. That is until I try to slow down the clip in premiere.

When I do, the framerate becomes choppy, in that it looks like the program isn't properly blending between frames, so the video seems to "bounce" along.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm already kicking my own ass by putting this project off so close to the deadline for submission, and these issues just make me want to curl up and whimper.

Thanks much, in advance!

Marco262
Org Profile

Post by Marco262 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:14 pm

Something I forgot to add...

The Huffyuv codec worked perfectly before my reinstall. I used it to collaborate on a group AMV project. Since the reinstall, I've installed Premiere, AMVapp...uninstalled AMVapp, and reinstalled it without ffdshow, since the program was making WMP crash often, and farking up Premiere's editting.

Marco262
Org Profile

Post by Marco262 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:44 pm

Bump, cause I'm an impatient little prat. ;-)

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:54 am

Ah. There is an option in the HuffYUV encoding process called "Always suggest RGB output" or something like that. That needs to be set or else Premiere will flip your video backwards and make into a mishmash of colors as it gets confused about video files being in RGB or YUY2 colorspace easily. In VirtualDub, when you go to pick the codec you'd like to use, hit the 'Configure' button and you'll see the options. Make sure that "Always suggest RGB output" box is checked.

The framerate being choppy could be due to the fact that your computer can't real-time preview the slowdown effect (Premiere is terrible with it's real-time preview). Try exporting a tiny segement of it and watching it in a media player to make sure. If it IS choppy...I think there is an option somewhere to stop that, something like "Never deinterlace footage when speed below 100%". Not sure if that's the problem or not.
Life's short.
eBayhard.

Marco262
Org Profile

Post by Marco262 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:26 am

badmartialarts wrote:Ah. There is an option in the HuffYUV encoding process called "Always suggest RGB output" or something like that. That needs to be set or else Premiere will flip your video backwards and make into a mishmash of colors as it gets confused about video files being in RGB or YUY2 colorspace easily. In VirtualDub, when you go to pick the codec you'd like to use, hit the 'Configure' button and you'll see the options. Make sure that "Always suggest RGB output" box is checked.
Awesome! That looks like it might have fixed it! I'll post a reply here if it crops up again. Thanks!
badmartialarts wrote:The framerate being choppy could be due to the fact that your computer can't real-time preview the slowdown effect (Premiere is terrible with it's real-time preview). Try exporting a tiny segement of it and watching it in a media player to make sure. If it IS choppy...I think there is an option somewhere to stop that, something like "Never deinterlace footage when speed below 100%". Not sure if that's the problem or not.
Already tried the exporting thing, and it turned out just as bad. I'm looking for the deinterlace option now...

Ah! Field options looks like it has what I want! Hmm...flicker removal? *click* Boo yah!

Seems like flicker removal seems to work the best for me here. I'll be trying out the other options and see what works best. Thanks so much for the help!

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”