What causes blending? (picture included)

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
x_rex30
Org Profile

What causes blending? (picture included)

Post by x_rex30 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:10 am

When I render my video in Vegas.. I get this happening.

I have deinterlaced my footage, and there isn't any blending like this even if I go frame by frame in the AVSEdit preview to see if any of this is going on just incase I may have deinterlaced it incorrectly and I don't see any of it.

Even in my timeline in Vegas, if I go frame by frame I get no blending, but then when I render it I get it, even at times when the input and output is the same framerate. So what causes it and how can I prevent it from happening? Thanks.

Jnzk
Artsy Bastid
Org Profile

Post by Jnzk » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:24 am

Hmm. Changing the playback rate could do that if you have resample on, but that would show up on the timeline... Maybe you could try re-adding the clip from Project Media to the timeline and see what happens?

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:09 am

It doesn't fix it. I'm mainly having trouble with akira. By default the vobs for it are 23.976 frames per sec but even if I render my video at 23.976 frames per second I still get blending. Well I have got rid of it by taking away Decimate but everything else then blends because it's a different frame rate or depending on wether they have decimate on or not seems to determine if it blends or not so I guess decimate could be a factor to blending.

A big problem though is a lot of my source footage in my timeline have different frame rates so if I change some of them to match others so everything has the same frame rate, the ones I change the framerate settings on are going to have it's footage moved, so It'll not be the same scenes I've placed in the timeline, it'll get some other part of the anime since the footage either speed up or speed down because of the change in framerates.

I just want to know every possible thing that causes blending and every possible thing I could do to prevent it. What frame rate should I have all my anime at since apparently if things are a random frame rate when I bring them in vegas then there is going to be random blending going on in my video when I render it. Help is appreciated. Thanks.

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:14 am

Should note the project I'm working on has like around 20 animes in the timeline, a lot of them having different frame rates than others. So if I change the framerate by changing the script, when I go back to the project if I view anime in the timeline that I had the frame rate changed to, there will be a different scene present because of the change in frame rate, so if I could prevent blending without having to change the frame rate in my script I would love to hear a way to do so. Thanks.

Undertow
Org Profile

Post by Undertow » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:38 am

What region of DVDs are you using?
If you are using R2 dvds (european), those have a blended interlacing that is a bitch to remove. I have no idea how that can be done.

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:41 am

Everything is region 1.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:07 am

Actually, what that image you posted exhibits is ghosting, to be specific. Decimate shouldn't be causing it, though. Do you have a Blur(0, 1) command in there somewhere, 'cause that will cause it without fail if the interlacing wasn't on a set pattern and the IVTC wasn't able to take it all out.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:35 pm

x_rex30 wrote:By default the vobs for it are 23.976 frames per sec but even if I render my video at 23.976 frames per second I still get blending. Well I have got rid of it by taking away Decimate...
If the first sentance is true then you shouldn't be using decimate. 23.976 footage + decimate = fucked up. Assuming the source is progressive (which I think Akira is) then what you're doing is killing frames that are supposed to be there and reducing the frame rate to 19 or so. Then either in your avs script or vegas you probably have it set to 24fps so it has to duplicate and blend frames to get back up to 24fps. Simple solution, don't decimate progressive footage.

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:01 pm

godix wrote:
x_rex30 wrote:By default the vobs for it are 23.976 frames per sec but even if I render my video at 23.976 frames per second I still get blending. Well I have got rid of it by taking away Decimate...
If the first sentance is true then you shouldn't be using decimate. 23.976 footage + decimate = fucked up. Assuming the source is progressive (which I think Akira is) then what you're doing is killing frames that are supposed to be there and reducing the frame rate to 19 or so. Then either in your avs script or vegas you probably have it set to 24fps so it has to duplicate and blend frames to get back up to 24fps. Simple solution, don't decimate progressive footage.
Yes, thanks for the input. I don't know why the hell I was trying to deinterlace it.. I messed up.. it is progressive and it wasn't even interlaced though I had telecide in my script for some reason.

So never use decimate when your working with footage that is defaulted at 23.976 frames per second or if the footage is progressive. Check. I fixed the akira thing by increasing the frame rate to 29.97 frames a second because most of the footage I'm working with is 29.97 frames a sec by default and I originally didn't do frames per second adjustments in avisynth(I don't know if I should of, was suppose to or what).

OK, so now I know that.. now I'm wondering what fps do I want all my footage to be at? I can't work with some being different than others because that would cause blending. So what should I do. Oh by the way thanks for the help(probably a lot of this stuff I should already know. :oops: )

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:13 pm

1. Make sure vegas project is set to the same framerate as your input source.
2. When you export, dont select "best" quality, try the next lowest one.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”