Guides and AMVapp Public Alpha/Beta Test

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.

Postby AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:46 am

1) AVI isn't good. Never has been, still isn't.

2) That page is about the history of codecs. The stuff about containers and what codecs you should actually USE comes later.

3) There is going to be a page on video in windows... if you look on the menu it hasn't been written yet.

As for the order of the theory guides... I'm not convinced that people NEED to learn about colourspaces more than they need to learn about telecine.
AbsoluteDestiny

Postby klinky » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:32 am

Why is colorspace so special it should have it's own section. Shouldn't it be included with basic video theory? Isn't it closely related to television standards? Maybe it's an either/or, they're both important. But one is taking up more space on the page than the other and could be grouped elsewhere ;D?

AVI may not be "good" in your POV, but it is the dominant standard. It is easy to work with. What's the point of explaining the same information twice? What's the point of giving someone half the story and then twenty-five pages later you give them the other half. It just leads to confusion.

I was blind and didn't see that sexy WIP section for stuff about
V&A in windows.

Hey and what's with the horizontal listing of links for video, but then the vertical listing for audio. Also there are links, that are just anchors to different locations on the same page. Is there any reason for this? Do people actually use those links, since it all goes to the same page anyways ;D? I guess it could come in handy since the pages are so huge and daunting ;p!

The work being done here though is dashing good, dashing good indeed. Makes me want to give you a box of biscuits and crisps. I don't know everything. I find it hard trying to figure out how to best lay out the massive quantity of information required for all this. So I don't think I'll be writting any guides anytime soon <_< >_>.
klinky

Postby Tab. » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:43 pm

As far as I'm concerned, that page doesn't exist, cause I didn't write it :p
The rest is coming.
Tab.

Postby Akai Rurouni » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:18 pm

I want to be helpful, and I think I can be very much since I'm actually a newbie myself and am learning (mostly) everything in the guides for the first time. So I've posted a few things here (and in the thread on General Video), but I'm not sure I'm being optimally helpful. :(

So I have a few questions that I hope will help me (and others) help you better:

1) What kind of feedback are you looking for primarily? Simple editing (typos, grammar, broken links)? Technical content (when something is wrong or incomplete)? Logical content (if we think something needs to be explained better or more thouroughly)? Flow (how the sections interrelate, work together, and are ordered)? Etc.

2) Who is your intended primary audience? Are you focusing more on newbies trying to make their first video, or veterans to need a reference document? Is it meants to be read straight through, or skipping around reading just the parts you need? Is it supposed to be a thourough guide on everything about everything, or just the parts you really need to know to make an AMV?

3) What is the difference between this thread, and the thread about The Guide in the General Video section? I just want to make sure I post the right thing in the right place. :)

I didn't see these already answered elsewhere, but if they are then just bonk me on the head and give me a nice sturdy shove in the right direction. :wink: Thanks!
Akai Rurouni
Akai Rurouni

Postby AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:25 pm

The guide should be able to help anyone provided they are willing to learn to a high level of understanding.

Any feedback is useful.
AbsoluteDestiny

Postby DaNuKa_SAN » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:01 pm

Arent we missing fractal compression on there?^^ :D
"Why is it I get my best ideas while shaving?"
- Albert Einstein
DaNuKa_SAN

Location: Most probably sleeping...that or in front of his comp...

Postby Tab. » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:54 pm

No, because real fractal compression takes several days per image on supercomputers and the guy that came up with it is a raging idiot.
Tab.

Postby Akai Rurouni » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:09 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:The guide should be able to help anyone provided they are willing to learn to a high level of understanding.

Any feedback is useful.

Okie dokie. I'll scour the guides and see what I can find. :)
Akai Rurouni
Akai Rurouni

Postby WilLoW :--) » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:57 am

in
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... etb2a.html

However, as the image being sampled is changes this causes the field being sampled to blend into the next image

Is this a mistake ?
WilLoW :--)

Postby AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:00 am

Yes it should read "is changing"

I have a bunch of changes to make to the guides right now butI@m a little busy - I might work on them a little tonight.
AbsoluteDestiny

Postby 7sigma » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:32 am

Greetings. I've found a broken link in
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... intro.html

If you click on "Compressing video to DivX-5 compatible Xvid" the link points out to a hard drive on AD's PC. :lol:

Strangely enough, if you follow the Index the link works just fine.
When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers - Oscar Wilde
7sigma

Postby 7sigma » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:37 am

On a completely unrelated note, I've followed the Beta Guide on making my new AMV, but Premiere refuses to export it, either exporting a completely different scene from my .avs that wasn't even in my Work Area, or exporting just a small bit of my video.

I thought it was my slowed clips, but I've removed anything under 40% speed and the thing is still crashing. This is annoying. Any ideas of what is going wrong?

(Anyway, the revision is great. The new stuff on cleaning up your footage is amazing... never thought my AMV would end up looking better than the DVD from wich I've ripped it :lol: )
When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers - Oscar Wilde
7sigma

Postby billy_wires » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:07 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the links to the names at the top aren't working. They may be broken, or it may be due to recently installed internet protection on my computer (althougth in Firefox it mentions port 80, which I currently have no protection on). The links lead to:
Ermac:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/legacy/ ... ser_id=535
AbsoluteDestiny:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/legacy/ ... er_id=8760

Perhaps they lead to the member profile, or maybe to a section not quite there yet? Either way, they don't work for me.
billy_wires

Postby Scintilla » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:14 am

That's how the links to member profiles USED to look.

Methinks the "legacy" should be replaced with "members" in both those URLs.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

might be just me

Postby Manganate » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:22 pm

I'm in the process of testing this on other systems just to make sure it's not just my computer going insane.

But does the most current version of AMVapp (amvapp-20-RC6.exe) cause anyone's computer to come up with explorer.exe application errors? Such that windows practically crashes on startup and no programs/folders are even accessible?

It appears as an unreadable memory error but really has nothing to do with ram.

Additionally deleting the user under which AMVapp was installed fixes the problem altogether.

I may be following a trail to a dead-end here but I thought it might be useful to bring to someone's attention.
Imperturbable is my depth, and it sparkles with swimming riddles and laughter - Nietzsche
Manganate

PreviousNext

Return to Video Software Help Archive