Guides and AMVapp Public Alpha/Beta Test

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Yogurtron
Org Profile

Post by Yogurtron » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:10 am

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... getb2.html
Luminance Filter: This is to increase brightness. Out of date an unnecessary.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... ssive.html
Title is "New Page"

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... etb3a.html
Title is "New Page"

With NTSC footage this will also restore the framerate to 23.976fps whereas PAL will keep the its framerate of 25fps.

Doing searched on the doom9 forums for the above filters will give you clues as to how to attempt this kind of thing but it's not the kind of filtering that has been acheived with any amazing and easily duplicatable level of success.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... meth2.html
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... h2a.html#3

When the two pages listed above point to "method 3", (in both pages), they point to videogetbmeth2a.html#3. (Yeah, the second one points to itself)

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... h2.htmlThe default setting is 64mb but if you are usuing lots of scripts you may want to reduce this to avoid memory crashes.

Just pointing out random typos and whatnot (don't find anything wrong with the theory, so just trying to do what I can to help improve.

Very good work on these guides tho, AbsoluteDestiny, top notch.

Khameleon808
Org Profile

Post by Khameleon808 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:34 am

yes , very nicely done
I like how you included some live action hints as well for those of use who like to edit live action vids every now and then. I know its probably too much to ask but if anyone knows of anyone guide similar to this but more focused on live action . or could effortlessly put together some comprehensive tutorial for people that use live action . let me know, because as beautiful as these guides are for anime. there are still questions i have to get the maximum quality out of my live action vids as well such as prepping the vobs and other pre / post productions tricks. ill interrupt myself and wrap it up by thanking AD and recognizing what a very nice and in depth job he has done so far. :)

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:05 pm

I'd just like to see some tips on taking care of dot crawl on <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... .html">the postprocessing page</a>, if it's not too much trouble, now that I know what it is and how ugly it can be... I mean, there is a whole section for de-rainbowing...

:cry: Damn you Central Park Media!!!
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:07 pm

Scintilla wrote:I'd just like to see some tips on taking care of dot crawl on <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... .html">the postprocessing page</a>, if it's not too much trouble, now that I know what it is and how ugly it can be... I mean, there is a whole section for de-rainbowing...

:cry: Damn you Central Park Media!!!
There would be...

if there were many tools to remove dot crawl. Unfortunately there aren't.

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:17 am

The only viable way to remove dotcrawl I've found is with WarpSharp. A long time ago there was a plugin for VitualDub called the Wavelet Noise Reduction filter which could do filtering in a pseudo analog space, and thus get rid of dot crawl, but it was very slow and finicky, and it never could remove it properly without dramatically softening the rest of the picture.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:19 am

Well, GuavaComb can do it I *think* - but I dont really have many clips of this to test things with.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:04 am

Tried GuavaComb after seeing the demo images on its webpage, but it doesn't seem to be working on my source. Don't know if this is just because I haven't found the right settings yet, or what.

WarpSharp was a little better, but a lot of the dots were still there.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

ErMaC
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:14 pm

WarpSharp isn't meant to really deal with the problem - I just found that often, due to the way it warps towards edges, it tends to help get rid of the problem, albeit not entirely. If you have a bunch of dot crawl on a solid surface, then it won't help, but if you have a source that has a bunch of crawl around edges it tends to help some.

Unfortunately analog noise like this is very hard to filter in the digital domain, because you can't really properly filter in an analog space without converting back and forth. It's very hard to mathematically model dot crawl in the digital domain so it's almost impossible to fix.

Akai Rurouni
Org Profile

Typos, etc.

Post by Akai Rurouni » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:27 pm

I just read the CD Ripping page. Here are the possible issues (mostly typos) I found:
Well, in order to accurately extract audio (and rip dvds etc.) form a cd you really need aninterface called an ASPI layer.
form => from
aninterface => an interface
you can still install an ASPI layer using a program call ForceASPI
call => called
Drive tab: click "Autodetect Read Command"
Offset tab: Click "Detect read sample offset correction"
It doesn't really matter (I think) whether "click" is capitalized or not, but both "clicks" should be the same.

Now I'm going to be nit-picky for a moment - CD and CD-ROM should _technically_ always be captialized, since they're acronyms. It probably doesn't _really_ matter, and I won't really care if you don't fix this, but like I said, I'm being nit-picky. :twisted:

Here's something that I'm not positive is an error - You use the word "normalisation" which I've always seen spelled "normalization" (and a cursory search on the web seemed to indicate that "normalization" is correct). However, if "normalisation" is a valid alternate spelling or is the British spelling, then nevermind. :wink:

And this is something you may choose to leave alone, but I'm going to point it out in case you didn't know -
put a spanner in the works
I don't think most Americans know what a "spanner" is. (Well, I had to look it up at least.) :? If you want to, you could say "wrench" (or something like that) and it should be understandable to Americans and Brits (and probably even Australians and Canadians, except those wacky French speaking ones). :wink: On the other hand, it's easy enough to understand what you're getting at, and even if someone doesn't understand it's not exactly the most critical phrase in the guide. So if you want to leave it, that's fine too. I just wasn't sure if you were aware that not everyone knows the word "spanner". :)
(Actually, I think it's kinda cool, but I doubt everyone will take the trouble to look up the word like I did...)
Akai Rurouni

ErMaC
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:07 pm

Spanner in the works is a British idiom, so saying put a Wrench in the works would be like saying "hold your equestrians."

And yes, the British like to use Normalisation, Analyse, Capitalise, etc.

I think at some point Ian and I talked about Normalis/zing all the spellings to be either British or American, but it's too much work. Color vs. Colour is a big stickler, too.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”