Guides and AMVapp Public Alpha/Beta Test

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:36 am

Very useful stuff.

It's not the first time that someone has suggested expanding upon the colourspace issues with visual perception ideas but it is the first time someone has written it up in a way that isn't too hard to understand.

One of the major toubles I have in putting the guides together is detail. I know that most of the things I write about are much more complicated than I describe, but there is a certain point where extra detail becomes useless for average user. (So, for example, the aspect ratio information is really simplified wheras interlacing types are a little more in depth because they will have greater effect on the output)

Thankfully, this stuff looks good and manageable, so I'll see about intergrating it - if stuff is copied as is (likely) you will be credited :)

Thanks for the feedback. There is still a lot left to do on these guides (so much has changed in the year and a half since they were written) so help like this is always welcome.

sysKin
Org Profile

Post by sysKin » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:45 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Thanks for the feedback. There is still a lot left to do on these guides (so much has changed in the year and a half since they were written) so help like this is always welcome.
You're welcome ;)

Now I keep reading - DivX5 and XviD "summaries" at video4_2.htm - how old are they exactly? ;)
For divx5, not much has changed, except that their b-frames don't look at crap anymore.
For XviD - wow you wrote so many good things ~2 years ago? It was even better than I had expected ;)
I say "2 years ago" because, TADAAA, it does support b-frames now ^__^

Oh, about aspect ratios - I'll think how to write it better, but you really can't say that NTSC's (P)AR is 3:2 while VGA's (D)AR is 4:3. They have both DAR of 4:3, while PARs are 3:2 and 1:1. Can't mix them like that >_<

I'll think of some nice paragraph :)
Radek

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:49 am

The theory stuff hasn't been updated very much. At all.

I really need to read over the aspect ratio stuff again. I'm not even sure if everything I say is accurate :)

Most of the new pages have the composition date as april or may 2004 at the bottom. Some I've proof read, some I have not :) I'm going to do a little update in a second of some more stuff but it's mainly little tweaks here and there.

One day these guides will be wikied :)

p.s. I've already started updating video4_2 but there is much more to be updated on that page ^_^;;

CHAMELEON_D_H
Org Profile

Post by CHAMELEON_D_H » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:46 am

Corran Productions wrote:...Also try deleting the plugin folder in your Avisynth directory and reinstall the plugins via the AMVapp. You might have an old plugin in there that is causing problems...
thanx that fixed it.... even tho there was now folder like that before i nstalled the new amvapp, but what work , works *bows*

oh, and i checked the RC5 thing just in case and its fine....

CHAMELEON_D_H
Org Profile

Post by CHAMELEON_D_H » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:27 pm

guide problem: the first pic at http://amvs.34sp.com/guides/videogetb2a.html is not showing couse the source points at AD's image folder...

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:33 pm

sysKin wrote:As for colour information, they are not so easy. They are called U and V, or Cr and Cb. They can have both positive and negative values, and completely match the way colour is processed in our brain.
Cr, when positive, means that the object is red.
Cr negative means that the object is green. Our brain understands these two colours as opposites - If you think about it, no object can ever be red-greenish.

Cb, when positive, indicates blue object. Cb negative means yellow. Again, they are the opposites for our brain.
I take issue with the opponent-process theory of color. It pairs white-black, red-green, and blue-yellow, but from personal observation that doesn't seem correct at all. Rather, the opposites seem merely to be the light opposites of each color. That is, red-cyan, green-magenta, blue-yellow, white-black. I don't know how psychologists could possibly miss that, it should be rather obvious to anyone looking at an afterimage. I guess magenta+red and cyan+green are similar enough that nobody cares... I dunno :/

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:49 pm

CHAMELEON_D_H wrote:guide problem: the first pic at http://amvs.34sp.com/guides/videogetb2a.html is not showing couse the source points at AD's image folder...
Thanks

CHAMELEON_D_H
Org Profile

Post by CHAMELEON_D_H » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:40 pm

i dont know what u did, but the file suddenly ends about a screen after the beginning
Is it Interlaced?
You probably know this already because DGIndex generally tells you if it is or not (Frame Type: Interlaced or Progressive). It is very important to look closely at the frame typ
thats the end :/

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:45 pm

bad upload, try now.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:05 pm

Tab. wrote:I take issue with the opponent-process theory of color. It pairs white-black, red-green, and blue-yellow, but from personal observation that doesn't seem correct at all. Rather, the opposites seem merely to be the light opposites of each color. That is, red-cyan, green-magenta, blue-yellow, white-black. I don't know how psychologists could possibly miss that, it should be rather obvious to anyone looking at an afterimage. I guess magenta+red and cyan+green are similar enough that nobody cares... I dunno :/
Thing is, the afterimage bit is a chemical thing in the retina. The brain doesn't neccessarily process in the same way.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”