Trying to make a Ranma vid...do I even have a chance?

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
y2kwizard
Org Profile

Trying to make a Ranma vid...do I even have a chance?

Post by y2kwizard » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:59 pm

Hello, all. I've come up with an idea for a Ranma 1/2 AMV, and I've ripped all my VOBs and taken them through DVD2AVI. I'm now trying to reconstruct the original progressive frames, and it seems that all is lost.

The suggested use of the Decomb filter by the guides didn't help at all. This seems to be a common problem among people trying to do the same thing with Ranma DVDs and Eva DVDs. The ONLY thing that I've hard might help would be to use an adaptive deinterlacer on my footage...trythil suggested it a while back.

Has anyone had any success in restoring the original ranma frames? Can anyone explain to me WHY the original frames can't be reconstructed? What on Earth did the guys in charge of encoding do to make my source so ugly?

THanks very much!
"When I got fat, I decided to grow a beard" -- The Great Andy
"Is it a DARTH visor?" and "It's funny cuz it's pants" -- The Master of on-the-spot Funniness
"You're too young for your age" and "I'm sorry for apologizing so much" -- The Master of on-the-spot Randomness

Anime2Envy
Org Profile

Post by Anime2Envy » Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:16 am

hmm, I think what heppened is that for some reason the telecineing precess got fubared when they did it. What may is to just deinterlace and leave the framerate at 29.97 FPS. I did this with blueseed and it came out OK. Not great, Just OK. :?

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:11 am

Ranma 1/2, if I recall correctly, has a weird problem in which the picture gradually fades between two interlaced frames from top to bottom.

Here's a Usenet post that outlines the "polygonal prism telecine", which leads to similar field-blending issues. (I think AD might have linked this same post a while back, but I can't remember right now...I just Googled this :P )

In any case, without the use of really special software as mentioned in the linked Usenet post, I think your best shot will be to use an adaptive deinterlacer, i.e. Kerneldeint().

Speaking of AD -- he used Ramna 1/2 footage in IWIWAL, and it looked fairly clean. Might want to ask him what he did.

MSI-Ferret
Org Profile

Post by MSI-Ferret » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:45 am

man I have perfect ranma copies (mind you i've only done the first 2 movies...)

Use 'DVD Ripper' (sorry I can't remember where to get it.. I might upload it to my site one day...)

then flaskMpeg and I got clean AVI Files :)
<a href="http://www.msiferret.cjb.net">Image </a>I'm Too Gay To Have A Signature...
Mindless Crackers Forum Moderator - http://www.mindlesscrackers.com

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”