Here is a stupid or maybe smart question...

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Here is a stupid or maybe smart question...

Post by Pwolf » Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:19 pm

OK i don't want any flame, i just want a short and sweat answer (or maybe a long one. BUT NO FLAME PLS!!!).

OK I don't have the disk space to edit footage from .VOB i would nee at least an other 10gb and i can't spare that much. Now if i convert to HuffYUV, wow much would the file size compress? about 50% file size reduction and no or very little loss to quality? i am going to experiment on my own but i would like to know what people know.

Pwolf

PS: ok i had to say it some time... Klinky... That darn Avatar of Misato makes me laugh for some reason. everytime i see it ^_^

TokyoU15
Org Profile

Post by TokyoU15 » Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:35 pm

First off, how much space do you have to work with? How many episodes is the anime you're using? Converting whole episdoes into huffYUV would take up waaaaayyyyyyy too much space. I suggest you just go though the video with DVD2AVI andexport the clips that you'll need. It'll save some space.
<a href="http://www.senpaiproductions.net">Image</a>
<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... =326">View My Profile</a>
The Thrill of The Kill Is Alive and Well!

Pwolf
Org Profile

well

Post by Pwolf » Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:59 pm

I am working with the whole Trigun box set. 8 dvds. i only have around 13gb free so that'll only hold about half if even that. here is an other question. what would be the file size difference?

Pwolf

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:08 pm

Huffyuv would probably be about 3 or 4 times larger than the vobs. Heck, maybe even more than that. Try splitting the vobs up into chunks of like 100mb, and delete the ones that you dont need.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:57 pm

You're SOL.

You *CAN* make D2V files of DVDs and edit off a DVD. If you did this I'd use VirtualDub to slice out portions into lossless MJPEG or HuffYUV and then import those into Premiere. Just switch DVDs when you needed a clip from a different disc. HuffYUV can take up ALOT of space very quickly, so Iam not sure if that'll help much.

~klinky

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:03 pm

You'll never compress 50% with little loss of quality, it will make a HUGE diffference in pixelation. The best you can compress at optimum output with marginal distortion would be about 80% but even still I think you'll have to do more than that with the hard drive space left. When was the last time you defraged?
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:03 pm

I could always wait until i get a 120gb Hd but i don't want to wait so i'll try just finding the clips i need. how well does XviD work with AP, editing wise?? does it have the same problems as with using Divx? not saying i'll edit using it, just want to know if anyone tested it?

Pwolf

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:05 pm

i defraged last week

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:48 pm

I tested xvid in Premiere. Crash and burn. Divx 3.11a works fine for me most of the time...

mofisto
Org Profile

Post by mofisto » Sat Jul 27, 2002 9:02 pm

If you are worried about space. I would also forget ripping audio. You will save some space, nothing dramatic but hey if your hard drive is a small as you say. Then forget the audio. You can always capture audio clips later if the need be.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”