AVS Issues

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Atarashii Hito
Org Profile

AVS Issues

Post by Atarashii Hito » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:18 am

I just recently got a new computer, and with it came Windows XP. Now the AVS pack says it works with XP, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be working on mine. I ripped a DVD to my HD and ran it through DVD2AVI to get the project file, then proceeded to make the .avs file, I think my .avs script is fine:
MPEG2Source("C:\Kiki\Kiki.d2v")
AssumeFPS(24)
LanczosResize(720,360)
But for some reason, the .avs file wont open in anything, VirtualDub, Premiere, etc.
I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.
The VirtualDub error reads as: Avisynth Open Failure: Unrecognized exception! (c:\Kiki\Kiki.avs, line 1)
So apparently the problem is in line 1, but its right!
So any help would be great with this frustrating problem...

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:48 am

Hmm. Assuming you haven't moved your ripped VOBs since you made the D2V file, I might try installing DVD2AVI 1.86 and remake your .d2v file. I don't wholly know when it's better to use the one that comes with the AMVApp (1.76?) and when to to use 1.86. Also, you might want to try deleting the DVD2AVI preferences file if you have an older version of the AMVApp, or just do it anyways and see it that fixes it. At least until someone more knowledgable than I can help you. :?
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

DreamsofaCobra
Org Profile

Post by DreamsofaCobra » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:30 pm

hmm, go back and read the guide. I seem to remember for AVS to read a .D2V project you need to install a certian .dll file. The guides should say what .dll file. It should come with the AMVapp. Make sure that you have that in your system. If you know what I am talking about, and you know you do have that file in your systems, then I am out of ideas...(still really new to this myself.)

Atarashii Hito
Org Profile

Fixed

Post by Atarashii Hito » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:42 pm

I just installed the newest version of DVD2AVI and remade my .d2v file, everything worked fine after that, thanks for all the suggestions! :D

Tsukin
Org Profile

Post by Tsukin » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:01 am

I noticed something, you used "AssumeFPS(24)" without using inverse telecine first, thats a bad idea that is likely to screw up the motion, unless for some reason the vobs were or were near 24 fps to begin with, which is highly unlikely.
Do this :
MPEG2Source("C:\Kiki\Kiki.d2v")
Telecide()
Decimate(5)
AssumeFPS(24)
LanczosResize(720,360)

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:03 am

Tsukin wrote:I noticed something, you used "AssumeFPS(24)" without using inverse telecine first
The dvd source is Kiki's Delivery service.... which is probably progressive or made progressive with Force FILM. So the script is correct.

Tsukin
Org Profile

Post by Tsukin » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:53 pm

Kikis Delivery Service is progressive? I didn't know that. Are all DVDs of works from Hayao Miyazaki progressive?

Atarashii Hito
Org Profile

Post by Atarashii Hito » Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:32 pm

It seems to be that way. So far in my exprience with DVDs of Hayao Miyazaki's work, they have all been progressive. Princess Mononoke, Kiki, Spirited Away, these are the only one's I have tried, and they've all have been progressive.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”