TMPGEnc Doesn't Like Me...

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:43 pm

it sounds like a bug with the audio file you're using. Is it an mp3 or a regular 44.1khz stereo 16 bit pcm wav?
Btw, the vivo thing was a joke, vivo was an oooold internet compression format similar to realmedia.
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

RubyHatchet
Org Profile

Post by RubyHatchet » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:08 pm

I exported the video with .wav audio, and had compressed it into .mp3 using the LAMEMP3 compressor. If I used just the exported file, without having applied any filters or audio compressors, it encoded properly, oddly enough. However, there was a strange audio skip in the file that was only exported and in the encoded file. I wonder if something screwy is goin' on. Right now, I'm putting the exported file back through VDub using a different audio compressor, and I'll encode that. We'll see how it turns out.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:27 pm

RubyHatchet wrote:I exported the video with .wav audio, and had compressed it into .mp3 using the LAMEMP3 compressor. If I used just the exported file, without having applied any filters or audio compressors, it encoded properly, oddly enough. However, there was a strange audio skip in the file that was only exported and in the encoded file. I wonder if something screwy is goin' on. Right now, I'm putting the exported file back through VDub using a different audio compressor, and I'll encode that. We'll see how it turns out.
Not that you're doing anything wrong, but I usually keep it in .wav the entire time...in the timeline, in VDub and finally at TMPGEnc encode to MP3 or whatever.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

RubyHatchet
Org Profile

Post by RubyHatchet » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:35 pm

that might be it, then. i'm still going through the second TMPGEnc encoding for the re-exported file, but if the audio-skip is gone now, i'll consider the encoding to have finally worked this time. *Whew*

RubyHatchet
Org Profile

Post by RubyHatchet » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:48 pm

Okay... TMPGEnc seems to be having trouble compressing the .wav. The exported file from Premiere doesn't have the audio-skip (it happens only once, as far as I can tell, in the encoded version). So... what might cause it? I encoded using Joint-Stereo, but... I'll try again using just stereo. I have no clue if this will work, but I'm willin' to try.

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:37 am

Have you done anything to the audio track in Premiere? If not, you could export video only from Premiere and in TMPGEnc recombine them.

Other thought 1: Do you trust the .wav? Can you re-rip it? If not you could try doing a wav-to-wav copy in BeSweet, that might create a usable .wav

Other thought 2: Was the MP3 encoded VBR or CBR? For video use audio must be encoded CBR - no matter what the codec is.

RubyHatchet
Org Profile

Post by RubyHatchet » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:42 am

I have shortened the .wav file and clipped out chunks of it. I've also used a couple of fades, but beyond that, I haven't messed wtih the .wav. I suppose I could re-rip the songs. We'll see how that turns out.

Oh, and yes, I did use CBR.

RubyHatchet
Org Profile

Post by RubyHatchet » Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:39 am

Okay, I got a different version of the .mp3 that I used for that section of the video, converted it to a .wav file using winamp (tell me if there's a better way to do this step), and replaced the other .wav file.

Here's the weird part....

I used several songs in this video, and tried to replace one that I thought might be a little too low quality, even though it didn't skip in the encoded version. It turns out that the higher quality file must have been a remastered version. It did sound clearer, but they made the song two seconds or so shorter by speeding it up, too. After exporting and re-encoding the video, the spot where the audio skipped was about two seconds later than where it had been before.

Weird, man...

Xyex
Org Profile

Post by Xyex » Sat May 03, 2003 11:52 pm

It's at times like this I say, "@#!$ I just wasted all that #$(%ing time!" then move on. I have a suggestion for you. Go back to all your original clips, use the file you've already got as a template of sorts, and re-make the vid. Only this time leave out the clip where the skip takes place. (Don't leave it blank, put in a filler.) Encode that, if it works replace the filler with what you wanted there and try again.

With luck it was a problem from way back during the 'design' phase of the vid and this will work. If it works with the filler and not the clip then the clips screwy. If neither work then God just don't like that vid :wink:

RubyHatchet
Org Profile

Post by RubyHatchet » Sun May 04, 2003 1:27 am

I don't think it's the original clips, nor the .wav files or Premiere. I think TMPGEnc is screwing something up. No offense to the creators of TMPGEnc (especially since Premiere has plenty of its own stupid bugs), but I think their program did somethin' screwy. Someone is going to help me fiddle with the settings, so maybe he'll figure out the weirdness.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”