TMPGEnc Doesn't Like Me...

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
RubyHatchet
Org Profile

TMPGEnc Doesn't Like Me...

Post by RubyHatchet » Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:06 am

Okay, my video exported just fine. The audio and video look fine in WMP, although they play a little slowly since it's a 2.44 GB file, and the length of the video shows up correctly to be 4:04.

Now, when trying to encoding this Mo-fo, these are my settings...

MPEG-1 Video
352 x 240
1:1 (VGA)
29.97 fps
2-pass VBR (VBR)
Motion Search Precision: Highest Quality (very slow)

I've tried changing the aspect ratio to 4:3 525 Line (NTSC) and changing motion search precision to Normal, but the same thing happens.

When the program starts to encode the video, I can understand that it takes a couple hours, I suppose, but not that, while watching the encoding process, it gets halfway through the video but is still at 5%, or that it takes a 4:04 video and makes it approximately 23 minutes long.

Does anyone know what might've caused the weirdness? Thank you if you can offer any help!!!

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:06 pm

hmm :| sounds buggy, which version of tmpg? If its not the latest you might want to get the newest version from http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
I'd say it was a problem with the directshow reader, but you said it plays ok in wmp :| hmmmmmmmmmm
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

RubyHatchet
Org Profile

Post by RubyHatchet » Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:00 pm

I checked the versions, and I do have the latest one... strange, ne? I haven't a clue as to what could be wrong. @_@

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:14 am

Two thoughts:
  1. The "23 minutes"; is that an estimate on your part or did you actually let TMPGEnc finish and that was what you wound up with? If it is an estimate, try letting it finish or only convert a part of the video and see what happens.
  2. What is the frame rate in the AVI file? If this is off then that will affect TMPGEnc. To check the frame rate you can use 'abcavi AVI Tag Editor' which comes with AMVApp.

RubyHatchet
Org Profile

Post by RubyHatchet » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:46 am

1. No, it does actually come out to approximately 23 minutes. The video looks fine, sync'ed well with the audio, but then about one minute into the video, the audio cut out. I didn't watch much of it after that.

2. I guess I'm not using this program right, because when I try to open my .avi file, no information pops up. Strange...

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:08 pm

That sounds like there is something wrong with the AVI itself. Have you tried re-exporting the file?

RubyHatchet
Org Profile

Post by RubyHatchet » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:11 pm

Yes, twice actually. I suppose I could try it again. I left a huge pagefile after rebooting, and I've got a gig of memory, so I'm not sure how the exporting could have been affected by a lack of memory (b/c last time, that was the only problem). I'll try again, though, and we'll see how it goes.

RubyHatchet
Org Profile

Post by RubyHatchet » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:27 pm

Okay, so I re-exported, ran that .avi file through WMP, and it's fine (except it plays a little slowly). 2.44 GB (according to the properties)

Then I ran that file through VDub to crop out the edges, bringing it to 704 x 480. Put it through some other filters, and then saved it as .avi. 2.45 GB (according to the properties). It also plays fine, except a little slowly.

Both of the above .avi files are correctly 4:04.

After waiting about 45 minutes for TMPGEnc to finish, I got a video that's 27 minutes long this time, plays fine until the same point, audio cuts out, and then the video ends, giving me black until the end. The frame rates are correct, too, so.. that can't be it.

Gahrr... I don't know what's wrong. @_@

RubyHatchet
Org Profile

Okie, so now what do I try?

Post by RubyHatchet » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:49 pm

I'm going to assume that my problem is not fixable by anyone on amv...b/c it looks like a weird thing that's too hard to figure out. So does anyone know of another encoding program I could use to make a distributable video? I've heard some people talking about Vivo or Vio or something like that...

Onegaiiiiiii~~

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Re: Okie, so now what do I try?

Post by dwchang » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:55 pm

RubyHatchet wrote:I'm going to assume that my problem is not fixable by anyone on amv...b/c it looks like a weird thing that's too hard to figure out. So does anyone know of another encoding program I could use to make a distributable video? I've heard some people talking about Vivo or Vio or something like that...

Onegaiiiiiii~~
Vivo = teh sux0r :-P

You could always try skipping the Vdub step and doing the deinterlacing and cropping in TMPGEnc. You have a HUFYUV file from Premiere, just do that Vdub stuff in TMPGEnc...it's in the guide...just more painful and IMO not as good.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”