crossfade question

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
DreamsofaCobra
Org Profile

crossfade question

Post by DreamsofaCobra » Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:58 am

First, I am a newbie. I know it, now you know it, so be gentile

I am using Premiere 6.0, and I was wondering if there is a noticeable difference between using a cross-dissolve transition, and simply using the transparency rubber band (video tracks 2 and up). I do a lot of fade in, fade-outs and mostly load clips into track 2 or 3, then use the transparency rubber band to create the cross fade, or fade in/out. Then previewing my latest video, which uses both rubber band fades and a few drag and drop cross dissolve transitions, I thought the cross dissolve transitions looked smoother than the rest of the fades. Was I hallucinating? Is there a difference? What about using the "QuickTime" effect? (Seems to me more trouble than a simple cross fade is worth). Any comments are appreciated.

burntoast
Org Profile

Post by burntoast » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:01 pm

there might be some slight differences between the cross-dissolve and using the rubberbands, but i don't really notice any. i think the rubberbands are more convenient to use, and more control is allowed over them for complex fades.

i barely use cross-dissolve anymore. :twisted:
"The only one to deprive you of happiness is yourself."

Leanan
Org Profile

Post by Leanan » Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:56 pm

I prefer using the rubberbands over cross disolve since I can control how I want the fade to go (well for a more complex fade).

Dugan
Org Profile

Post by Dugan » Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:49 pm

Yes there is a difference between the rubberband crossfade and the cross-dissolve transition. The crossfade darkens the image while the cross-dissolve does not.

mckeed
Org Profile

Post by mckeed » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:51 pm

if you fade in with the rubberbands you get an aditive dissolve, if you fade the clip out when it is over a another clip that is full in you just have the inverse. A cross dissovle fades one clip out while it fades in another, randomly replacing the pixels. Thats the quick explanation.
"People can not gain anything without putting forth any effort. That is the absolute Truth" - Dante, Full Metal Alchemist

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:56 pm

mckeed wrote:if you fade in with the rubberbands you get an aditive dissolve, if you fade the clip out when it is over a another clip that is full in you just have the inverse. A cross dissovle fades one clip out while it fades in another, randomly replacing the pixels. Thats the quick explanation.
Its not really an additive dissolve, coz if u notice, when "Additive Dissolve" is used, the screen gets brighter momentarily, because its an additive dissolve, not a cross dissolve. The rubber bands control the opacity of the clip, that is, how opaque they are. At 100% they are "solid" and anything below that gets closer and closer to totally transparent the closer to 0% you get. Like the displays of your health in first-person shooter games have an opacity setting that works on the same principle.

plastikman
Org Profile

Post by plastikman » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:35 pm

yea the rubber bands are the best way to go because with some of the transitions depending on your frames you can get really bright contrast going on and it looks really gross when rendered

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:59 pm

plastikman wrote:yea the rubber bands are the best way to go because with some of the transitions depending on your frames you can get really bright contrast going on and it looks really gross when rendered
Tell me about it. My first ever music video, a vegeta tribute set to "Its Been Awhile" looks bloody horrid! Fair enough, i knew nothing about video editing back then, and I thought I had to convert the AVI source files into MPEG format....fucked that up really badly....and then the transparencies didnt work properly and i got a barely recognisable bright overlay (i did "track matte" or "screen matte" or something like that....
*shudder*.... if I knew then what I know now.....)

Rubberbands are the wave of the future! I dont even use the premade "fade" transitions anymore because they suck and they take forever to render!!

Fear the Jalbador!

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”