Which computer should i get.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Re: Which computer should i get.

Post by TEKnician » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:53 pm

One word: MAC.
If you want to see the true resolution of your video, either connect your feeble PC to a $1000 monitor, or just get a kick-ass MAC.

Trust me, I have a MAC, and the resolution shows no pixellation or distortion whatsoever (even when it's playing full-screen!). Granted, your source of anime may be low-def, but that just means you need to get better-def episodes (and that is one thing that the viewers like).
Even though you can just keep customizing your pathetic PC (which may take weeks, months, more piggy bank sifting sessions, or days you could be spending making AMVs already), the MAC is sexy and ready to go.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:48 pm

The_TEKnician wrote:One word: MAC.
If you want to see the true resolution of your video, either connect your feeble PC to a $1000 monitor, or just get a kick-ass MAC.

Trust me, I have a MAC, and the resolution shows no pixellation or distortion whatsoever (even when it's playing full-screen!). Granted, your source of anime may be low-def, but that just means you need to get better-def episodes (and that is one thing that the viewers like).
Even though you can just keep customizing your pathetic PC (which may take weeks, months, more piggy bank sifting sessions, or days you could be spending making AMVs already), the MAC is sexy and ready to go.
Uh... it's just about knowing which scaler to use over playback... I have a 1920x1200 24" monitor that costed me 290 euros as my main PC screen, and I can watch SD videos just fine even at full screen... of course, higher detail is always welcome, but not all the sources are HD, and upscaling a source just to release a video in a fake 720p or 1080p definition for no reason whatsoever doesn't make much sense.
Also, protip: I bought a prebuilt 2 years ago, never had to customize it and was very much ready to go, and it has been sexy ever since.

As far as actual editing on a MAC is concerned, you'll need to use windows applications within wine or crossover if you wanna make the quality as good as you can. :roll:

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:56 am

The_TEKnician wrote:One word: MAC.

Uhh...you have no idea what you're saying, do you?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "true resolution", but I can tell you that it has absolutely nothing to do with using a mac vs using a pc.
Golden rule of video quality: Your output quality will always be limited [primarily] by your input quality

Without knowing how much the OP wants to spend, I'm assuming this is going to be a low to mid budget buy/build...and you never hear the words "Mac" and "budget" in the same sentence.

side note: I've never seen anyone bring up customization as a con before

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:40 pm

The_TEKnician ACTUALLY wrote:the MAC is sexy, beautiful, wonderful, amazing, incredible, fantastic, magical, special, unique, mystical, life-altering, paradigm-changing, ball-tightening...
Someone set their Reality Distortion Field a bit too high when they posted this? Come back when you have actual, technically valid reasons to give us. "The resolution shows no pixellation or distortion" doesn't even make sense from a technical standpoint. Also, using words such as "pathetic" in describing a PC simply shows a bias, and not an actual, reasonable argument.

I give this troll 1.5/5 for a poorly executed effort. Sorry, but Lord Jobs will not be sending you that free iPad you were hoping to get.
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Hey, I'm sorry, but I DO think MAC is better than PC. :(

Don't get me wrong, MACs and PCs have their unique traits, but MACs are just very user-friendly. I use Final Cut Pro on my MAC, and I'm happy. I'm not saying I'm rich or anything, but if you actually have a decision between the two (regardless of money constraints), a MAC won't let you down. That is my opinion anyway.

In the end, I apologize if I offended/confused anyone with my comment. :cry: But remember, the decision is still yours.

P.S. "Pixellation" and "Distortion" is an actual term used in describing video quality. I've spent 4 years in my school's media program, and I've heard those words all the time. If you don't like/understand them, use different ones!

P.S.S. Just because I express my opinion in favor of MAC doesn't mean I'm just kissing asses just for a reward, that is how I feel. BTW, even though I like MACs, I still think the iPad is just a bigger iTouch. I honestly wouldn't get it even if I had the money.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:32 pm

It's not that we don't know what pixellation or distortion are...
It's that these two things have absolutely nothing to do with using a Mac vs a PC

That said I'd like to reiterate that for non-professional editing, mac is no better than pc (and vice versa)

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:01 pm

Get a PC if you are doing it for fun.

Get a Mac if you want to start a career in video editing. It is the industry standard. You'll be using either Final Cut Pro or Avid. Plus it is also a PC (after buying a copy of Windows of course).
Insert clever text/image here.

Chimolem
Location: earth 5 minutes a day;the rest of the universe the other 1335
Org Profile

Post by Chimolem » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:32 pm

easy build a Dual building hackitosh if you got the money....

http://lifehacker.com/321913/build-a-ha ... -under-800

do all steps, then Boot camp it... best of both worlds..

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:22 pm

Fire_Starter wrote:Or if you really wanna get serious about editing, drop the $$$$$ on an Avid Nitris DX system. :mrgreen: :wink:
Avid's a little too overboard for editing amvs. Plus it doesn't accept AVS scripts or huffy/lagarith.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
Fire_Starter wrote:Or if you really wanna get serious about editing, drop the $$$$$ on an Avid Nitris DX system. :mrgreen: :wink:
Avid's a little too overboard for editing amvs. Plus it doesn't accept AVS scripts or huffy/lagarith.
Holy shit necropost. :shock:

But well, if it accepts H.264 inside of m2ts, I think you're good regardless (lossless x264 IS an option). It's actually what I'm thinking about doing in Premiere - since editing m2ts with AVC inside is what the industry does, all the professional NLE got top notch frame-accurate fast seeking of it, which makes it a better choice over huffyuv and lagarith in premiere (adobe doesn't care much for them, since they are the options that hobbists use, so their support is somewhat limited).

Return to “Hardware Discussion”