just built a new rig but my moniter never piks up a signal:(

Overture
Org Profile

just built a new rig but my moniter never piks up a signal:(

Post by Overture » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:24 am

so i just built my new rig, im sure everything is built rite and everything. and wen i plugged it in for the first time, my moniter doesnt pik up any signal and just goes to sleep(lazy moniter). heres my rig
intel quad q6600
p5q pro lga 775 motherboard
corsair 550 powersupply
HIS HD 4850 512mb vid card
GSkill 4gb ddr2 memory
freezer7 pro
1tb western digital sata 3GB/sec
in a antec 300 case
i tried pluggin in two different moniters, neither picked up a signal. tried to enter bios followed by pounding the crap out of my keyboard like no tomorrow, still nothing:( i tried putting in my windows xp reboot disc thingy, doesnt do anything. i checked my power supply plugs and everythings in. my videocards fan is on, processor fan is on, seems like everything mite be running but my moniter is a no go. so i dont think its my moniter.

my video card doesnt have a port to plug in my moniters blue plug, but it came with this other plug to plug into my videocards port so i can plug in my moniters plug to that. so i was thinking it mite be that little thingy, or maybe something wrong with my videocard, tho its recieving power. or if worst comes to worst, my mobo'__; did this happen to anyone or can anyone for the love of god please help me!!!! i already broke my old rigs harddrive trying to find the problem and i didnt even get anywhere:(

heres some picks of my rig:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/d ... 0_0214.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/d ... 0_0216.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/d ... 0_0217.jpg

please help:3

FunStorm
Org Profile

Re: just built a new rig but my moniter never piks up a signal:(

Post by FunStorm » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:41 am

Dunno if these will be useful, but I would try this things:

- Check again whether you really have everything pluged all power supply cabels (especialy the one to support video card)

- afterwards if really nothing is showing up there is not much more to do then try different graphic card. I mean like do you have on-board graphic card? if yes try it. If you have possibility try other graphic cards (some friends to lend teir to you) or something. Because if really nothing is showing up on your screen you cannot do much more then try to solve it on principle of changing different components and finding out which is the broken one :( .

There might be other solutions but I really dunno about any ...
Image Image

Overture
Org Profile

Post by Overture » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:39 pm

well theres no onboard graphics card. and all my cables r plugged in too, including my graphics card. but thanx, ill try finding someone with a compatible card and try switching it. i hope i kno someone like that haha. everyone i kno buys macs and dells and all those built junks. tho if it isnt the card, then my next best bet is prolly the mobo. but i dont kno how i would test that:( thanx for the suggestions tho. ill try those out too:D

anmore ideas anyone?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:16 pm

take out both sticks of ram and see if it will boot with only one of them in the first slot. if it doesn't work, move the stick to the next slot and so on. if you get nothing on all four slots, try the second stick on all four. also, do you hear any beeps when the computer is turned on? does the CPU fan turn on, the gpu fan?

Pwolf

Overture
Org Profile

Post by Overture » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:30 pm

alrite ill try the ram thing. but i get no beeps when i turn on the computer or press anything but the fans for both the processor and the gpu are on so they're getting power.

FunStorm
Org Profile

Post by FunStorm » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:54 am

Pwolf wrote:take out both sticks of ram and see if it will boot with only one of them in the first slot. if it doesn't work, move the stick to the next slot and so on.
Yeah, I had this problem also when I was putting my old computer together ... but if I remember right it at least showed something and frozen afterwards.

Also if you dont want to try each RAM slot you can have a look at your mother board manual where should be picture for each working combinations of ram (for example in my case if I wanted to have only one RAM I needed to give it to third slot :shock: )
Image Image

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:03 am

FunStorm wrote:
Pwolf wrote:take out both sticks of ram and see if it will boot with only one of them in the first slot. if it doesn't work, move the stick to the next slot and so on.
Yeah, I had this problem also when I was putting my old computer together ... but if I remember right it at least showed something and frozen afterwards.

Also if you dont want to try each RAM slot you can have a look at your mother board manual where should be picture for each working combinations of ram (for example in my case if I wanted to have only one RAM I needed to give it to third slot :shock: )

reasoning for trying each slot isn't to find out the best "configuration" it's simply to find out if a slot is bad or if the ram is bad. generally if the slow is bad, you'll have this problem but if you move the ram stick to another working slot, the system might boot but give you a POST error, which is a lot better then nothing :P

Pwolf

Overture
Org Profile

Post by Overture » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:08 pm

the ram thing didnt work:( nothing i try is working so i guess ill just try to find someone with a computer thats compatible with my graphics card and test that out. if my card is working fine then ill just assume its my mobo and request for an rma and get it replaced.

btw, is there any other way to test if my mobo or graphics card has something wrong with it then trying to find someone with compatible graphics cards or computers to test it on? idk if anyone i kno has a compatible setup or anyone i wouldnt mind asking that of:P thanx

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:25 pm

take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a piece of cardboard. make sure there is no metal for the motherboard to touch. Try booting it outside the case withonlt the video card and ram (and CPU of course). if that doesn't work then it might very well be the motherboard. You should also be able to bootup without a video card and it should at least give you some POST codes in the form of a beep or two.

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:04 am

Make sure both of the motherboard's power cables are plugged in securely. It sounds like some of the components aren't getting power. That would also explain that lack of POST beeps. For reference, there's the obvious 24-pin power cable, then there's the slightly less obvious 4 or 8-pin cable. (It's up behind the PS/2 ports on your board and it looks like it wants a 4-pin cable. From your pictures, I can't tell that there's a cable run there.)
... yea ...

Return to “Hardware Discussion”