it's my first time...........................[buliding a pc]

RonnieDaking
Org Profile

it's my first time...........................[buliding a pc]

Post by RonnieDaking » Thu May 28, 2009 4:55 pm

i'm planing to replace my crappy DELL OptiPlex 330 with a afordably pc i'm planing to bulid. So i'l like to know is it easy to bulid a pc or not, also is this setup any good for very basic video gaming and video editing?

ASRock N68-S AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard -$48

Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case-$25

MD Sempron LE-1250 Sparta 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor-$30

Broadway Com Corp OKIA-500-RB 500W ATX 12V V2.2 Power Supply-$15

ITACHI Deskstar 7K160 HDS721680PLA380 (0A32727) 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive-$33

PS. I also have spare ram and dvd drives at home.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: it's my first time...........................[buliding a pc]

Post by Kariudo » Thu May 28, 2009 6:09 pm

That's a pretty light machine, dunno how it would fare in editing (should do just fine...though encoding/transcoding will be sluggish) but it would not be good for gaming unless you're planning on playing old stuff like simCity.

If you want to play fps games like F.E.A.R., Gears of War, Crysis, etc... you'll want a graphics card

I'd change out the power supply you have there at the very least. Cheap power supplies are the bane of many a system.

Hard drive is a bit skimpy, given the restrictions of your mATX case I'd go for a larger one (price per GB drops as capacity increases).

You should make sure that your ram is ddr2 if you plan to reuse it in your new system...but even if it isn't, ddr2 is dirt cheap right now

here's what I'd go for:
Foxconn A78AX-S $50 after rebate
Athlon64 X2 5000 $53
Corsair 400W psu $40 after rebate
Rosewill R220-P-BK ($25, mid tower...more room)
sapphire HD4830 $80 after rebate (a nice mid-range card that should do you good in most modern games)
WD 640GB sata HD $70
2GB G Skill ddr2 800 $30

The 4830 should be capable of doing video encoding using the avivo video converter as mentioned in your previous thread

RonnieDaking
Org Profile

Post by RonnieDaking » Thu May 28, 2009 6:21 pm

i was planing to upgrade the cpu later, but the psu sound good idea now.

RonnieDaking
Org Profile

Post by RonnieDaking » Thu May 28, 2009 6:24 pm

also i planing to do lite gaming [like the orange box and call of duty 2]

RonnieDaking
Org Profile

Post by RonnieDaking » Thu May 28, 2009 6:29 pm

[quote="Kariudo"]That's a pretty light machine, dunno how it would fare in editing (should do just fine...though encoding/transcoding will be sluggish) but it would not be good for gaming unless you're planning on playing old stuff like simCity.

you should see the pc i have now. 1.6 ghz celoron cpu and intel graphic card

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu May 28, 2009 8:21 pm

It's pretty easy to build a PC, I built my first one when I was in high school and my only prior experience inside my PC was doing a ram upgrade. It's pretty straightforward. These days, I bet you can even find instructional videos on youtube or something.

You get what you pay for though. Looks like you are trying to build a PC for a little over a hundred bucks O.o
You mentioned orange box, and I doubt that system will handle Team Fortress 2 very well.

And the thing about upgrading... it's not all that ideal really. For instance, every year or two it seems like that come out with CPUs that need a completely different motherboard. Or they come out with better ram or something. In my opinion, its best to wait and build a really good system, than to just get something crappy hoping you can upgrade later.

RonnieDaking
Org Profile

Post by RonnieDaking » Thu May 28, 2009 8:30 pm

Zarxrax wrote:It's pretty easy to build a PC, I built my first one when I was in high school and my only prior experience inside my PC was doing a ram upgrade. It's pretty straightforward. These days, I bet you can even find instructional videos on <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... ochsack</a> or something.

You get what you pay for though. Looks like you are trying to build a PC for a little over a hundred bucks O.o
You mentioned orange box, and I doubt that system will handle Team Fortress 2 very well.

And the thing about upgrading... it's not all that ideal really. For instance, every year or two it seems like that come out with CPUs that need a completely different motherboard. Or they come out with better ram or something. In my opinion, its best to wait and build a really good system, than to just get something crappy hoping you can upgrade later.

i see.... what about this setup
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=332

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu May 28, 2009 8:43 pm

I know nothing about AMD processors and ATI graphics, so someone else will have to answer that.

I have heard some people say you dont want a cheap power supply, as it can cause problems like frying your other equipment, or die after a short time. I've also heard people say there's nothing wrong with using a cheap power supply. I've always stayed on the safe side and spent at least $50 or so on my power supply. My old cheap case that I bought for 30 bucks a long time ago also started falling apart quickly. I bought a nice case when I build my current system and it's amazing. I honestly didn't know I could love a case :p

For encoding video, intel CPUs generally kick AMDs butt. I think AMD is ok with gaming and stuff though.
And you probably want at least 2gb of ram.

RonnieDaking
Org Profile

Post by RonnieDaking » Thu May 28, 2009 8:48 pm

then what is a good price for a pc for buliding for entry level video editing and slightly older games(call of duty 1,2 the orange box , bf 1942 ) and any suggesting for a bulid?

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu May 28, 2009 9:17 pm

the Radeon 3100 is another integrated graphics chip.
You generally want to avoid integrated graphics if you want to do gaming

ATI and Nvidia trade blows as far as graphics performance goes, either would be fine.

Other than that the barebones kit there is alright, but it's missing a psu...if you got the Corsair psu that would put you over the total from the rig I suggested previously.

As far as encoding times go...all things equal besides the make and series of the cpu
from lowest to highest:
Intel Core i7, AMD Phenom II, Intel Core 2, AMD Phenom, AMD Athlon64, Intel Pentium 4

Phenom and Phenom II are only tri and quad core processors, which is more than you will (regularly) use and seems to be a bit out of your budget (the cpu itself would run about $180 or more)

core i7 is quad core and would be more than you want to spend
core2 or Athlon64 would be up your alley

if you want a core 2 duo cpu, expect to spend around $500 on the entire rig (as opposed to the $350 for the Athlon64 X2 one I suggested)

All in all, $350 is getting close to the lowest you'll be able to spend to get a decent mid-level editing and gaming rig

Return to “Hardware Discussion”