Now help me with my cd burner :p

This forum is for help with and discussion about your video hardware.

Now help me with my cd burner :p

Postby afleetinghope » Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:09 pm

I tried this before awhile ago and couldn't get this fixed so I thought I'd try it again.

I have a Sony CD-RW CRX185E1 (CRX185A1) that has a odd problem, it can burn a audio cd just fine if I use mp3s, but anything else (using wavs, any kind of data cd, etc...) will get a SCSI/ATAPI command timeout error.

I'm pretty close to my wits end with trying to fix this damn thing, everything I can think of to either fix the problem or get around it doesn't seem to work. Tried using other programs (Nero, B's Recorder and another I've forgotten), but I get the same error in each program.

Something else is that it can read cds just great.

I've tried making sure the cable is secured right, that BIOS sees it (I use Phoenix Bios if that might help), tried turning off/on the buffer underrun and setting the buffer & cache to the max, but nothing.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?
afleetinghope

Postby Shulocc » Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:54 pm

What's you're OS? If it's XP you can go into the registry and delete a few Computer Custom Class files and solve the problem. I can't remember the name of the site but if you do a search on google for the problem you'll find it right off the bat. Any other OS I don't see why you couldn't.
Shulocc

Postby afleetinghope » Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:40 pm

Running 98, and I'm not seeing anything on google that helps.
afleetinghope

Postby afleetinghope » Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:54 pm

I've also made sure I'm using the newest version of Nero and using the Nero version of ASPI (also tried a few others, no help).
afleetinghope

Postby Shulocc » Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:46 pm

Do you have the burner on a RAID system perchance?
Shulocc

Postby afleetinghope » Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:47 pm

Nope
afleetinghope

Postby Shulocc » Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:50 pm

How new or old is the motherboard? Make and model also.
Shulocc

Postby klinky » Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:52 pm

New drivers!? Firmware update!?

That sounds like it sux. I think it's still a software issue tho...

Other then that I'd look into re-installing windows....

~klinky
klinky

Postby Shulocc » Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:56 pm

It does sound like Windows is missing some files. Can't remember the name of the top of my head but I will find them tomorrow and tell you the name. But an ATAPI error sounds more like a drivers update may be needed. Wait a minute, did you reinstall your motherboard after you did the new OS?
Shulocc

Postby jbone » Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:58 pm

Try searching Google for a utility called ForceASPI. I think you may be able to use it to remove your ASPI layer, then install the ASPI layer included with ForceASPI.

If you have Easy CD Creator installed (any version), remove it. In fact, remove all your CD burning software, then remove the ASPI later, then install the one included with ForceASPI, then install the latest version of Nero (and no other burning software).

I have no idea if this will help, but it's the best I can come up with.
jbone

Postby Shulocc » Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:10 pm

Alright, close to bedtime. I just got two different threads confused.

Go with jbone on this one. And a tip, when using 98...try to stay away from installing more than one utility after another of the same format. The registry is not self-evolving like 2000 or XP. It just keeps looking for the same files involving one process on your machine...at the same time. That's what the ATAPI error is, it keeps looking to maybe find a subsystem that you may have the other program or programs on.
"Hope is the pain we feel that makes us try again"
-----Chico Science
Shulocc

Postby kthulhu » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:42 am

How does it do on regular data CDs?
I'm out...
kthulhu

Postby kthulhu » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:43 am

Never mind,looks like it doesn't do data CDs.
I'm out...
kthulhu

Postby afleetinghope » Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:57 pm

jbone wrote:Try searching Google for a utility called ForceASPI. I think you may be able to use it to remove your ASPI layer, then install the ASPI layer included with ForceASPI.

If you have Easy CD Creator installed (any version), remove it. In fact, remove all your CD burning software, then remove the ASPI later, then install the one included with ForceASPI, then install the latest version of Nero (and no other burning software).

I have no idea if this will help, but it's the best I can come up with.

I tried the ForceASPI before when you tried to help me, but I'll try it again with uninstalling Nero.

And I pretty much got a whole new computer, so I installed 98 when I got my 40gb, Motherboard, etc..
afleetinghope

Postby afleetinghope » Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:18 pm

Tried it, still getting the same error.
afleetinghope

Next

Return to Video Hardware Discussion