Media Center Options

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Media Center Options

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:10 pm

So, I'm thinking about setting up a system at my new place that allows me access to files on my PC in my bedroom on the nice new TV in the living room. I plan on setting up a wireless G/N (Draft) network once I get myself settled in and I came upon these: Network Media Devices on Newegg and was wondering how i should go forward.

The way I see it, I have two options. One of these wireless media players, or building a media center PC. I'd like to go the cheapest route if possible without sacrificing playability. Does anyone have any information on these players or any others (the types of files they can handle, their performance, etc.) I'm thinking a media center PC that can play all the stuff I come across on the interwebs (including HD resolution stuff) will cost on the order of $500+ and will use way more power than a set-top box, but that most of these network media players will only play super-specific DRM friendly video streams.

Anyone with advice, experience, or insight want to give me a hand?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:14 pm

Personally, I'd rather just build a PC to handle the job than trust a proprietary system. Like you said, chances are high that no proprietary box will be able to play every kind of file you come across. What kind of a budget are you looking at?
... yea ...

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:43 pm

I'm honestly not sure about my budget at the moment (i'm moving and starting a new job, so my finances are in flux), but after talking with some people, I found This software that works with a whole host of hardware to play pretty much anything.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:02 pm

Hmm, seems like a pretty nice piece of software if you have the PC to handle the live transcoding of certain file types. I might play around with it on my PC and Xbox 360 just to see how well it does its thing.
... yea ...

Return to “Hardware Discussion”