Laptop Upgrade

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Laptop Upgrade

Post by 8bit_samurai » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:33 pm

I'm upgrading my laptop because it's slow and causing my rendered/comressed/exported video playback to be slower than it should be, or at least I think that's what it's causing it to do. I'm looking for recommendations for it to render/compress properly with it slowing the video playback. Here are the specs:

It's an Ashton Digital Passport 2000 circa 2001 (give or take a year, I got it from a friend who got it from a friend)
Pentium III Processor
999 Mhz
256MB RAM (with maximum 512MB capicity, or so I researched)

If any more info needed I probably won't be able to respond during the weekend but I'll let ya know ASAP. I'm willing to spend at most $150.00 and want to use it at least one more year if it'll let me, ($200.00 if it'll increase the life expectancy another year or so from what I expect it to.) I'd get a new laptop, but I'm hurting on money right now. I'm also living in the bush (rural area) so there aren't any local places I can go to for recommendations and stuff. Thanks in advance
Under Construction

Toshiyan
Org Profile

Post by Toshiyan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:36 pm

From what I've just recently learned about upgrading a notebook is, really only the memory and hard drive are things you should upgrade in them. The rest is either far to expensive or just to expensive to have installed.

I wanted my notebook to be faster and they told me the main thing that will determine that is the processor. Yet they said if you had the money to do upgrade that then just go for a new notebook.

Something cheaper that they said would show an improvement was memory though, so I upgraded from 512 to 2 gbs of memory. Which I noticed a huge difference in performance, though yours only goes to 512 so I'm not sure. What OS does it use?

I know a bit more about software than hardware ;).

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:20 pm

The most you should do with that is put the extra RAM in and that shouldn't be more than $40. Anything else is a waste of money. Check newegg for prices - hopefully they still stock it (they stopped stocking the RAM for my laptop over a year ago and those units were 512MB a piece).
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:03 pm

Windows XP is the OS. I figured as much the RAM is the only thing worth upgrading, I just thought and see if there was anything else worth doing. Thanks.
Under Construction

Return to “Hardware Discussion”