Does Video Edditing Kill Your Computer Quicker?

thel3gendkill3r
Org Profile

Does Video Edditing Kill Your Computer Quicker?

Post by thel3gendkill3r » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:52 pm

What i mean by that is that since your computer uses alot of power to be able to do this things,will it die quicker because of the punishment lol?

thel3gendkill3r
Org Profile

Post by thel3gendkill3r » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:59 pm

Sorry for double posting but nvm the question,i heard the more i make my computer work the bettter because my computer says i am currently at level 2 of "Windows Experience"...and its pretty damn slow...guess i got to make it work harder to get used to this softwares that take lots of ram

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:29 pm

well...video editing is very resource intensive (cpu, ram, disk I/O)
generally that means that more heat will build up, if you don't have an effective way to remove that extra heat then you can start to damage your computer...so the answer to your first question is technically yes, but it depends on the circumstances

computers are not like people, computers don't build up stamina to be able to work harder for longer. If your computer can't handle video editing now it won't ever be able to handle it any better unless you upgrade/overclock* components. (Usually a computer's performance degrades with time)

*overclocking also generates more heat when compared to stock speed, which can kill your computer faster

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:42 pm

.. and if your Power Supply is not large enough to handle the extra Surge of energy needed,
then the life of your motherboard might not be the only problem that Kariudo said!

Purge
Org Profile

Post by Purge » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:23 pm

running modern video games like need for speed/gta are probably more PC intensive then general video editing.

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:06 pm

Purge wrote:running modern video games like need for speed/gta are probably more PC intensive then general video editing.
Yep. The reason is when editing video/encoding, most programs are only using the CPU, a lot of RAM, and accessing the disk frequently. But while gaming you are almost always running the CPU, RAM, disk I/O, and video card at full tilt. Just make sure you have a good power supply, surge protector, voltage regulation is a plus, and the computer is clean of dust and debris.
Insert clever text/image here.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:20 pm

Yeah, my desktop has been dying for a whole FOUR YEARS with all kinds of intensive projects. In fact, it's dying so fast, IT'S NOT EVEN DEAD YET.

Non-sarcastic answer:

Unless your system is built of parts scrounged up from some electronics landfill in China, you'll probably be fine.

Ayanefan
Org Profile

Post by Ayanefan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:41 pm

No.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”