Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:30 pm

the 10k drives I dont recommend atm
their lifespan is too short

Illwilledmarine
Org Profile

Post by Illwilledmarine » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:31 am

Just picked up a Maxtor 500g SATA drive yesterday for 99.99 at Fry's Electronics. Surprisingly had no problem installing considering the first time I messed with Serial ATA drives ended in failure and a massive headache, but so far I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks again everyone for the help : D

JazzyDJ
Org Profile

Post by JazzyDJ » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:18 am

post-it wrote:hmmm . Western Digital . didn't know that they were still around! Now THAT was a hard drive worth having in the pre Windows XP days ^__^
Western Digital sucks. I got an external hard drive from them and the very instant I reorganized my Desk and had to unplug it (1 month after purchase), it never worked again. And I had tried it on other PCs too so I know for fact it was faulty. Then I used the warrenty to replace it. About 2 months after that I get a message saying the drive has malfunctioned and windows doesn't reccognize it. So I'm thinking I'm screwed. Then out of the blue one night we get a quick power shortage/surge, and suddenly the next time I turn the PC on it works.

I'm glad it works again but I'm afraid to put anything important on it because knowing the history, it's likely to malfuction on me agian and I'll be screwed out of all that data AGAIN.

And I've read reviews about it and it seems lots of other people have the exact same problems with Western Digital external hard drives.
Number 1 on the Bottom 40

Illwilledmarine
Org Profile

Post by Illwilledmarine » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:45 am

Sadly I had to replace that Maxtor drive I picked up, already. After I got everything running it was almost as if windows was falling apart as I was using it. I'm thinking this could have been the work of a virus but after finding out my only option was to partition the drive and start over, I got a blue screen while attempting to reinstall windows. I've been running fine on the replacement for abut 2 weeks now so hopefully all the problems are just in the past now...*knocks on wood*

Jnzk
Artsy Bastid
Org Profile

Post by Jnzk » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:38 am

Maxtor was fail. :| I like the Samsung I have now speed- and noise-wise, but can't say anything about reliability yet. *knocks on head*

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:53 pm

Maxtor was my favorite

it merged with Segate now, so I moved to segate for my HD's

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:57 am

.. regardless of the name brand -- it is unfortunate to find a fan-out defective hard-drive.
[[ a fan-out means that the-quality-control-people missed something when testing it ]]

.. when stuff like this happens, the warranty should cover its replacement; now all you need is a warranty that covers replacing the Contents on the hard-drive as well as the replacement and your time lost because of its defectiveness 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Return to “Hardware Discussion”