Motherboard with 2 ethernet ports

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Motherboard with 2 ethernet ports

Post by Orwell » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:34 pm

If I hook up a second computer through the second ethernet port on my main computer, will it degrade performance any? The second port is directly on the mobo.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:21 pm

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Direct transfer between 2 computers? Are you trying to use the first system in the chain as a switch so the 2nd one has internet?

Also, define performance. System performance? Internet speed?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:27 pm

Trying to hook up a second computer so that I can transfer files, and also use it as a switch. As far as performance goes, anything. Computer, internet, anything it might effect.
Latest
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:37 pm

I'd honestly reccomend a router over this method, but if you plan to go ahead with it you may experience a speed decrease in the interenet on the 2nd computer and a preformance hit on the first one (which won't really be noticible unless it's something that's really outdated to begin with).
| | |

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:49 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:I'd honestly reccomend a router over this method, but if you plan to go ahead with it you may experience a speed decrease in the interenet on the 2nd computer and a preformance hit on the first one (which won't really be noticible unless it's something that's really outdated to begin with).
Hmm, that'd require prohibitive trips to the store and a larger than I'd like financial incursion. Will the internet speed on it take a hit if I set up a router turned switch?
Latest

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:52 pm

You can get some cheep routers nowdays... look around a bit. I'm not sure what you'll find locally, but newegg definately has decent prices.

And if you have all the stuff to do what you had planned to begin with now then try it out and see how it works for you. Run a bnadwidth test on both systems and see if there's any difference.
| | |

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:00 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:You can get some cheep routers nowdays... look around a bit. I'm not sure what you'll find locally, but newegg definately has decent prices.

And if you have all the stuff to do what you had planned to begin with now then try it out and see how it works for you. Run a bnadwidth test on both systems and see if there's any difference.
I suppose I shall test it out, and it's not the router that's the problem, its the fact that I'd need at least a 50 foot cable, and wireless isn't an option since even in that distance, I can't get a remotely decent connection. Worse than dial up.
Latest

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:16 pm

| | |

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:27 pm

You make a strong arguement. Now raise my creditcard limit, and we're all set.

Srsly, what can you buy on a $500 dollar limit. Nothing altogether in one month.
Latest

lister007
Org Profile

Post by lister007 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:14 pm

Basically you need to set up a network and I agree with the router idea, as this is the method I use my self, however, if it is just file transfer and interaction between two or more comps setting up a network via blue tooth is quicker and cheaper. If you were going to hard wire them anyway then distance obviously isn't a issue. Its worth having a look into as you can get blue tooth dongles for almost nothing!
Spatchcock..........A dressed and split chicken for roasting or grilling on a spit.
Bring it
Berserk or crazy...??? (image shack sucks will have a banner for this too when it doesn't!)

Return to “Hardware Discussion”