PCI Express in PCI slot

This forum is for help with and discussion about your video hardware.

PCI Express in PCI slot

Postby Orwell » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:10 am

Can I use a PCI express 1x card in a regular PCI slot?
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."
Orwell
godx, Son of godix

Postby Kariudo » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:18 am

no
pci-express is not compatible with pci
ImageImage
Kariudo
Twilight prince

Postby Gox777 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:05 pm

I'd like to know what actually uses PCI express 1x
I have all these wasted slots on my mobo in the meantime.
Gox777

Postby Kariudo » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:09 pm

a few video cards (literally about 3)
I think I've seen an ethernet adapter
some sound cards (mostly ones that come packaged with higer-end mobos)
raid controllers are the most common I think
a few usb/firewire cards
ImageImage
Kariudo
Twilight prince

Postby Willen » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:14 am

D-Link Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Bytecc PCI Express Cards

Matrox releases world's first PCI Express x1 graphics card (yes, there are more...)

And holy crap is that Mac sound card expensive!

As fun as it was searching for those, since most modern PC motherboards have sound, USB, Ethernet, Firewire (sometimes), and occasionally, parallel and serial ports built-in, the need for expansion cards is lower. And most newer motherboards have at least one or two PCI slots available.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image
Willen
Now in Hi-Def!

Postby Wheee_It's_Me! » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:39 am

Willen wrote:since most modern GARBAGE PC motherboards have sound, USB, Ethernet, Firewire (sometimes), and occasionally, parallel and serial ports built-in, the need for expansion cards is lower. And most newer motherboards have at least one or two PCI slots available.

I fixed yer typo! ^_^

Really if you buy a motherboard that has it all built in...it's a cheap ass bitch. Most people don't comprehend just how IMPORTANT it is to buy high grade hardware. It's generally the difference between running Windows and having it crash every 2 minutes and running Windows and NEVER having it crash.

Yes, contrary to popular believe Windows doesn't crash Windows, BAD HARDWARE crashes Windows.

On my primary system it's running with a $500 MSI dual Xeon board, with Infineon EEC memory...yes, you'll probably wind up only getting half as much high grade memory for what you can get with garbageware memory, but it has the MOST significance as far as system stability is concerned.

Further there are actually quite a number of peripherals that make use of PCI-E, much more so than has been claimed in this thread. A quick search on New Egg for "PCI Express" brings up over FOURTEEN HUNDRED products, nearly FIVE HUNDRED just with video cards alone. (of course PCI-Ex16 is much more prevelant than PCI-Ex1 at this point).

Some higher end mother boards don't even HAVE PCI slots because they're considered so deficient and eventually nearlly ALL modern motherboards will be that way (of course by then they'll probably be yet another emerging technology to take its place)
lbh unq n fvt ohg V ngrq vg ;_;
Wheee_It's_Me!

Postby Scintilla » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:25 pm

Okay, now I'm curious. Can you show me some motherboards that DON'T have integrated sound, NIC, and USB? I've been under the impression for a while now that they all did, regardless of price (except <i>maybe</i> the ones meant for servers rather than consumer-grade computers).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Wheee_It's_Me! » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:46 pm

Scintilla wrote:Okay, now I'm curious. Can you show me some motherboards that DON'T have integrated sound, NIC, and USB? I've been under the impression for a while now that they all did, regardless of price (except <i>maybe</i> the ones meant for servers rather than consumer-grade computers).

Well I consider the ones meant for servers for personal use...yeah they're more expensive, but they're a LOT more stable, they need to be, cause they're meant for servers and the whole point is as little down-time as possible. Most of the server ones do come with built in NICs though which is kinda handy if yer setting up a cluster.

It's true that a lot of the "consumer-grade" models you're talking about have built in audio boards (most of which are absolute shit) but there are still quite a number that don't have built in video cards. And obviously all boards would come with USB slots.
Wheee_It's_Me!

Postby DJ_Izumi » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:47 pm

We recently priced a $1500 PCI-E capture card at Queen's for a project we were working on. :)

However, that was the 'Well, we don't have any prototypes left, but we get the engineers to build you one.' price.
DJ_Izumi

Postby Joe88 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:30 pm

Wheee_It's_Me! wrote:
Some higher end mother boards don't even HAVE PCI slots because they're considered so deficient and eventually nearlly ALL modern motherboards will be that way (of course by then they'll probably be yet another emerging technology to take its place)

sound cards still use PCI as well as things like capture cards, TV tuners, ect...
its not near dead yet

most high performance boards come with 2x PCI
and usually 1x PCI-e 1x, 2-3x PCI-e 16x

also the only actually cards on newegg that work with PCI-e, there are only 2 cards
USB and firewire I think

also you cant compare a server mobo with a normal ATX single mobo
there just too different ...
Joe88

Postby Wheee_It's_Me! » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:00 pm

Joe88 wrote:sound cards still use PCI as well as things like capture cards, TV tuners, ect...
its not near dead yet

Not for long:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/24ioCorePCIe/

The problem is that PCI-e was designed for graphics and not for sound so it doesn't really work right with existing sound card tech, so they need to go back to square one and redesign entirely new chips and such that can actually make use of what PCI-e has to offer. That lil snafu is takin a bit of time though, which is why there's a delay and the only ones that are currently available are...well...over a thousand bucks. o_O

most high performance boards come with 2x PCI
and usually 1x PCI-e 1x, 2-3x PCI-e 16x

Actually it's pretty variable, many still have three:
http://www.backwater-productions.net/_i ... kin_03.jpg

Some only have one (usually the ones that also have PCI-X slots).

also the only actually cards on newegg that work with PCI-e, there are only 2 cards
USB and firewire I think

There's a few different ones, here a couple PCI-e graphics cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161017
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161079

Really though most of em are gonna be PCI-e x16, especially the graphics cards.

also you cant compare a server mobo with a normal ATX single mobo
there just too different ...

...not really. I mean maybe if you're comparing some highly specialized server board for use in a blade cluster...although even then they're not like REALLY different.
Wheee_It's_Me!

Postby Joe88 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:34 pm

such as this high performance board
if your using crossfire dual gfx card, one PCI slot is blocked though

im not sure who would but a PCI-e 1x gfx card
certainly not me
I rather just buy a PCI gfx card and save money, since on average PCI gfx card runs on par with AGP 2x card

/me waits for ISA-e 32x :lol:
Joe88

Postby Gox777 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:35 pm

In any case, the limited selection and price of PCI-e (other than 16x video cards), is making it unpractical right now. The two types of pci-e cards I would be interested in right now are:
-a sound card, (preferably a Soundblaster X-Fi) to replace my PCI Soundblaster Live
-a capture card (no more than $100).

My Mobo (nF4-DAGF)
It was a pretty cheap value motherboard I'll admit, but it seems to work well. Onboard sound wasn't that great, (it blew out actually, lol), so I'm having to use my old sound card (which meant I had to take out my capture card to make room). It has two PCI-E1 slots and two [usable] PCI slots.
Gox777

Postby Orwell » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:44 am

Joe88 wrote:such as this high performance board
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/2310/21542eb5.jpg

My mobo! I need a sata card for that 1 small slot there. Any cheap ones?
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."
Orwell
godx, Son of godix

Postby Joe88 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:29 pm

you filled up all the SATA slots on it ??? :shock:
you should be able to hook up 6 SATA, 4 EIDE, and 1 eSATA
Joe88

Next

Return to Video Hardware Discussion