CD/DVD Archival Media

rubyeye
Org Profile

CD/DVD Archival Media

Post by rubyeye » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:54 pm

I'm in the process of archiving all my AMV master videos and came across this very interesting article about choosing the best CD/DVD to back up your data.

How To Choose CD/DVD Archival Media

The author is rather emphatic about the use of Taiyo Yuden DVD+R and writes a good deal to support his claim. There is more discussion in the replies about how to spot fakes, proper buring speeds, what kind of writing pen to use on your discs, which brands to avoid, etc.

It's very long but well worth reading through if you are serious about backing up your video clips and masters on CD/DVDs that will actually last a long time.

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:37 pm

Well for DVD+R I use Verbatim (they work good and there cheap) and Sony (reliable and they work good, somtimes you can find good deals on them at best and such as 50pak for $10 or so...)

as for CD-R , I tend to use Memorex (pretty cheap also and I havent had a bad experience with them with over 100+ CD's burnt ... )

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:06 am

I don't trust the manufacturers' claims for data longevity. Even if the discs last, the technology won't. Imagine having an archive on data tape or 8-inch floppies - and trying to find replacement hardware today. It'll be the same for plastic discs in the not too distant future.

Archives and backups are more about process than technology. Choosing media is just one part of it. Maintaining a system for reading and writing is another. Not depending upon any single failure point is yet another.

Instead of relying on a high-priced medium, it's better to have multiple copies on different media. And then copy to fresh media every 5-10 years. And "copy up" to the current state of the art when it becomes reasonable to do so (meaning flash memory, holographic data cards, etc).

Mariowii
Org Profile

Post by Mariowii » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:48 am

Thanks a lot ,i need it too.
I have the same question, Okay thanks
Everything Apple TV - News and Guide
http://www.apple-tv-converter.net

Return to “Hardware Discussion”