What could this computer handle for say the next 10yrs

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:14 pm

Kariudo wrote:I'd like to see the day that a human brain can be suplemented with a cpu.
Resistance is feudal.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:45 pm

They do have brain powed contol systems in labs for playing video games... it coudl advance from there.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:47 pm

Pulling X and Y locations by reading specific strong signals from the brain is a bit different than transfering complicated math into a computer via the brain.

Realisticly, a more plausable HID implimentation is the technology based on an optical sensor mouned to your computer screen that can look at your eyes and figure out what you're looking at the screen but their position and directions.

A much less creepy idea for the future too I might add.

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:34 am

DJ_Izumi wrote:I dunno about you but the speed I have access to via Cable Internet hasn't really changed in the last 5.5 years since I got it.
As I ordered DSL about 3 years ago, 756KBit/s was the upper limit. Since a year or so I could even order 6MBit/s DSL, but I don't think it's worth the money at the moment. The increase from 756Kbit/s to 1MBit/s was without additional charge because it's meanwhile the lowest available speed.
BasharOfTheAges wrote:They know 1 in a million people would use that kind of bandwidth potential and most people would simply share connections, cutting into their profits significantly.
People living in one household already share data connections, so more bandwidth is interesting for them. And I doubt that many people will found communities to share connections between different households. And had you ever the feel of really fast data connection? I had, as I tried to work as freelance software developer and rented my office from an ISP. With direct LAN connection to the ISP, having Internet access over their gateway. :D

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:55 am

Keeper of Hellfire wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:They know 1 in a million people would use that kind of bandwidth potential and most people would simply share connections, cutting into their profits significantly.
People living in one household already share data connections, so more bandwidth is interesting for them. And I doubt that many people will found communities to share connections between different households. And had you ever the feel of really fast data connection? I had, as I tried to work as freelance software developer and rented my office from an ISP. With direct LAN connection to the ISP, having Internet access over their gateway. :D
I'm talking GBps connections or approaching that. No single person, or even a house full of people are going to use that much bandwidth for personal useage... That useage is either going to be illegal or unprofitable for the ISP.

With such a connection you could set up your own webhosting business or (more likely) have several dedicated IRC / torrenting rigs - both of which would most likely be against their TOS anyways. I can't think of a legitimate reason for it... but in the same way, companies can manufacture bongs as "artwork" so it's still probably all about whether or not it's profitable to the ISPs - not if there exists any way to use that much bandwidth that isn't illegal or agaisnt their TOS.
| | |

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:30 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:I'm talking GBps connections or approaching that. No single person, or even a house full of people are going to use that much bandwidth for personal useage...
No? Think in terms of streaming 1080p 60fps HQ video and you'll know that it isn't that far fetched for even a single person to use this bandwidth, especially for applications we don't even think of now. Downloading a M$ Servicepack for Windows in 10 years will still last a 1/2 hour with this bandwidth. :wink: And don't think in nowadays transfer technologies. Remember, it isn't that long ago that was told the 56k Modem is the bottom line for data transfer over usual telephone line. With DSL I can have even 6000k.

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:51 pm

well FiOS is the future
its (WAY) faster then DSL and CABLE
30mbps FTW :o

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:05 pm

Keeper of Hellfire wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:I'm talking GBps connections or approaching that. No single person, or even a house full of people are going to use that much bandwidth for personal useage...
No? Think in terms of streaming 1080p 60fps HQ video and you'll know that it isn't that far fetched for even a single person to use this bandwidth, especially for applications we don't even think of now. Downloading a M$ Servicepack for Windows in 10 years will still last a 1/2 hour with this bandwidth. :wink: And don't think in nowadays transfer technologies. Remember, it isn't that long ago that was told the 56k Modem is the bottom line for data transfer over usual telephone line. With DSL I can have even 6000k.
Right, but i thought the topic shifted from what could be to what IS. This stuff is available now, but isn't being implemented for one reason or another anywhere but in Asia. When it becomes "nessisary" i have no doubt it will become available, but most of the world is far behind what's possible in terms of connectivity. And from what i hear the prices aren't as insane as you'd think they'd be.
| | |

Return to “Hardware Discussion”