New Mobo conflict with older model DVD burner?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

New Mobo conflict with older model DVD burner?

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:29 pm

Time to prove my hardware ineptitudes yet again.

I'm in the process of building an up to date system for editing, a bit of light gaming, and graphics programing, and i'm trying to keep the price down.

I currently have an external HDD i'm planning on feeding to this thing as well as an external DVD burner ("external" as in i put them into USB drive enclosures). The HDD should port over just fine, but i'm not so sure about the DVD burner.

Burner - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827152058

MOBO - http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6813128012

Will this work, or am i going to have to add a burner to the list of stuff I need to get?

Also: decent setup so far?
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6811166014
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6814130033
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6819115004
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6835103001
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6820146599
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:41 pm

it looks like most of it should work. the dvd drive shouldn't be a problem...as long as you don't want to use any IDE hard drives

the memory you chose isn't on Gigabyte's supported memory list so you may want to look at another brand.

the psu's that come with cases tend to not work (as well or at all), and from the reviews it looks like you may want to get a seperate psu

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:10 pm

Kariudo wrote: the memory you chose isn't on Gigabyte's supported memory list so you may want to look at another brand.
According to the specs on Newegg, it's the only supported RAM they sell (5-5-5 timing and 1.8V). Maybe i'm missing something o.o;;
| | |

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:40 pm

List of all DDR2 800 modules on NewEgg that run at 1.8V
Unless I missed something somewhere, mobos aren't picky about the timings...
so if you want to be sure that your memory will work, you should get the Kingston 2GB (2x1GB) dual-channel ddr2 800 kit (the extra K2 at the end of the product number just means that there are 2 of the KVR800D2N5/1G modules in the kit, and that model number was tested)

the Kingston stuff is ~$50 more, but Muskin might not work with Gigabyte mobos, if it was only dependant on the specs and density...then the Muskin stuff should work...but I'm not sure what (exactly) makes certain brands work while others won't

[paizuri: Edited link to prevent forum stretching.]

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:03 pm

Yea, i was going on this on the MOBO's spec page:
Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.
Although, one of the bundeled deals is with RAM that isn't 5-5-5 anyways. I'll have to do a bit more research to figure this all out.
| | |

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:32 am

As a side note: The CPU you've selected comes with heatsink/fan. Since I assume you want that Cooler Master you can probably safe some money with buying a CPU without fan.

jms
Org Profile

Post by jms » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:33 pm

If they've got OEM processors get one instead of the package to save a little bit. If not, no biggy.

As for the case, good lord. If you really need full tower, it will be fine, but consider getting a higher-quality PSU, like has already been said, the ones that come with a lot of cases are fairly sub par. If you can live with 4 3.5" bays instead of 6, I'd recommend the Sonata II case. It's a little pricier yes, but I've heard nothing but good things about it and it has a quality power supply. If you need full tower, don't bother with the sonata.

Video is nice.

Your DVD burner won't have any issues with the motherboard.

As for the ram, people in the reviews claiming to get other voltages working, but they aren't really a reliable source. I think the memory you chose should be ok. Just because that particular model of sticks wasn't tested by gigabyte, doesn't mean they won't work. Also one of the reviews says they worked on a g965 chipset, which is the same family as the motherboard you're looking at and have the same memory requirements. If you'd rather be on the safe side though, go with the kingston ram since reviews say it works on p965 boards.

As for monitor, you could get a nice 19" for around $200 shipped.

Also, if your external HDD was pata, you might have to like put the dvd burner in the bottom 5.25 slot, or just get reallly long ide cables. Since you only have 1 pata slot (2 devices) one split wire will have to connect both.

I'm probably forgetting something.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:33 pm

jms wrote:Also, if your external HDD was pata, you might have to like put the dvd burner in the bottom 5.25 slot, or just get reallly long ide cables. Since you only have 1 pata slot (2 devices) one split wire will have to connect both.
wha? usually external drives are connected via USB or firewire (but there are an increasing ammount of E-sata connections on these things)

Isn't PATA only for internal devices? (when I hear external, I think of a hard drive in an external closure instead of just a hard drive outside of the case)

jms
Org Profile

Post by jms » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:36 pm

Kariudo wrote:
jms wrote:Also, if your external HDD was pata, you might have to like put the dvd burner in the bottom 5.25 slot, or just get reallly long ide cables. Since you only have 1 pata slot (2 devices) one split wire will have to connect both.
wha? usually external drives are connected via USB or firewire (but there are an increasing ammount of E-sata connections on these things)

Isn't PATA only for internal devices? (when I hear external, I think of a hard drive in an external closure instead of just a hard drive outside of the case)
Right, it's a usb enclosure, but the disk inside is PATA.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:51 pm

even so, you wouldn't have to worry about the lack of PATA connectors on your mobo in that case

Return to “Hardware Discussion”