Quad-Core, Early Tests

TaranT
Org Profile

Quad-Core, Early Tests

Post by TaranT » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:34 am

Quad-core Intel CPUs should be available Real Soon Now (this month?). Some tests on pre-production chips show significant improvement for video rendering and encoding - reductions from 30% to 50% - relative to the current dual-core Extreme.

link 1
link 2
link 3

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:44 am

Intel is firing on all cylinders now. Another technique developed from the Pentium 4/D chips finds it's way into the current Core 2 Duo CPUs. Cut 2 Core 2 Duo dies off a wafer together and package it as a single CPU chip ala Pentium D 9xx processors and you have a Core 2 Quad CPU. The only problem I have with this architecture is that it still relies on a front-side bus design that eventually will not be able to handle the bandwidth that future iterations of these CPUs will require.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

oldwrench
Org Profile

Post by oldwrench » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:47 am

My bet is, in six months, they will have four cores on one die using a 45nm die.
Where did you say I'm going?.... And what am I doing in a handbasket?

Come and join us on the tiny but fun forum at http://www.allanime.org

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:44 am

I was reading about these quad-core
there was a review for the QX6700 in PC WORLD

there really not enough motive for me to buy one
im happy with my E6600
and since that quad-core chips costs $1500 ... :roll:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115011

in Q1 they will release more version of it
like dual E6600 on one chip and a buget dual QE6300

Zero1
Org Profile

Post by Zero1 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:43 pm

I'd sooner they make faster single core CPUs... There is only so much, or certain things that can be or benefit from multithreading. Encoding isn't really one of them (a fast single core would be better than a dual core of the same combined clock speed)

xoverburnx
Org Profile

Post by xoverburnx » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:19 am

Everyone is focusing on minimizing other bottlenecks at the moment, seirously think back.

in 2003 we were on the verge of 4GHz CPUs, pentiums were clocking 3.8ghz, now fast foward to 2007 and the best chips are 2.16ghz. what happened? well cpu clock speed isn't really going to improve much for most things.

Very true that for video rendering it does help but the mainstream market is not doing much video encoding now is it.

The bottlenecks are hdd access speeds, memory speeds and bandwidth from other devices and across the motherboard.

I didn't really notice but at one of my offices I noticed the "old" laptops that were being thrown out, some machines which warranties had run out. They were "faster" than the current models we were using. I hope this all gets sorted out I would like to see some major jumps in processing power, the core effectiveness is a step in the right direction, programs just need to utilize them correctly or else intel's 5 year projection of having 80-core CPUs available will be for naught.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:15 am

xoverburnx wrote:in 2003 we were on the verge of 4GHz CPUs, pentiums were clocking 3.8ghz, now fast foward to 2007 and the best chips are 2.16ghz. what happened?
Intel realized that Prescott sucked and couldn't be pushed any further, that's what happened. And thank goodness for that, because it forced them to adopt more efficient processor designs. (You will appreciate the fact that AMD has never had to push clock speeds that high in order to remain competitive.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:53 am

Scintilla wrote:
xoverburnx wrote:in 2003 we were on the verge of 4GHz CPUs, pentiums were clocking 3.8ghz, now fast foward to 2007 and the best chips are 2.16ghz. what happened?
Intel realized that Prescott sucked and couldn't be pushed any further, that's what happened. And thank goodness for that, because it forced them to adopt more efficient processor designs. (You will appreciate the fact that AMD has never had to push clock speeds that high in order to remain competitive.)
This is the primary reason why I skipped from Intel's Pentium III to an AMD Athlon64 X2. The inefficiencies of Intel's Pentium 4 NetBurst architecture was a giant turn off for me. It was like using a Ford Mustang to transport a half ton of gravel instead of a Ford F-150. :|
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

lister007
Org Profile

Post by lister007 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:32 pm

anyone read the "era of tera" thing, intel making a chip that does terabits of calcs at real speed or something essentially an 80 core, will be used in gov in the next five years or so.......don't pick me up on that cos dont know the detail, read it a while back, but check it out, I mean search on google for it
Spatchcock..........A dressed and split chicken for roasting or grilling on a spit.
Bring it
Berserk or crazy...??? (image shack sucks will have a banner for this too when it doesn't!)

lister007
Org Profile

Post by lister007 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:34 pm

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/ ... 04comp.htm

think this was it.... :shock: blah blah blah never been up with the time, buy a comp today and it will be outta date tommorow! by the time you've finished discussing the new thing there is something brand new out!......not that I think thats not the way it should be :)
Spatchcock..........A dressed and split chicken for roasting or grilling on a spit.
Bring it
Berserk or crazy...??? (image shack sucks will have a banner for this too when it doesn't!)

Return to “Hardware Discussion”