DVD ripping for WMM

Stryyder
Org Profile

DVD ripping for WMM

Post by Stryyder » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:15 pm

Ok, this is a rather off question for me, but it's a wierd situation.

The basic question is this, is there a way to use ripped DVD footage in Windows movie maker, and if so, how (or can you point to a decent tutorial).

Please don't post things like "just get adobe or Vegas" or something because I HAVE adobe and rip my own dvds for footage in there. However I have a cadre of people on another message board who make amvs and don't have the ability to get Adobe or Vegas. They are pretty much stuck with WMM for the time being and they keep asking me for a way. I really don't like WMM much so I don't really want to experiment to find a way. I'm just tired of seeing all their videos with horrible quality, Cartoon network logos, subtitles and all the other trademarks of downloaded clip AMVs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jayn_Newell
Org Profile

Post by Jayn_Newell » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:20 pm

It's pretty much the same process--rip DVD, convert to usable codec, import video into WMM. The EADFAG will cover the basics (in what is likely a bit too much detail), but it sounds like you already have a basic grasp of the process.

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:24 pm

Though go here when you're dealing with aspect ratios for your footage.
ImageImage

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:23 pm

Just wanted to add that Adobe is a company that makes all sorts of different programs. When you just say "Adobe", you could be talking about Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Audition, or Adobe Encore DVD, even though what you probably mean to say is Adobe Premiere.

</pickiness>
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Stryyder
Org Profile

Post by Stryyder » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:13 pm

Any information on what codecs and video format will work for WMM? I personally edit from scripts so I have no idea really what WMM uses but I know people have problems with certain filetypes.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:16 pm

if you stick with huffyuv or lagarith you should be good.
avoid divx, xvid, and other inter-frame codecs

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:29 pm

Stryyder wrote:Any information on what codecs and video format will work for WMM? I personally edit from scripts so I have no idea really what WMM uses but I know people have problems with certain filetypes.
I know it's also possible to edit using scripts in WMM via makeAVIs; DGVFAPI might work as well, though I haven't tried that one. But of course, it's noticeably slower than using actual clips.

And what Kariudo said.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Return to “Hardware Discussion”