CPU question: Dual Core....

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

CPU question: Dual Core....

Post by Pwolf » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:42 pm

Looking to upgrade my system (been 5 years? and this p4 is getting old..) and i'm looking into dual core cpus... I was originally going to go for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 but, after reading some reviews it looks like the Intel Core Duos are better. Only problem i have here is that i don't want to have to buy all new ram and video card cause all the new motherboards only support DDR2 and PCI Express... I've been unsuccessful in finding an intel board or a decent AMD board with DDR and AGP 8x

any help would be great.

Pwolf

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: CPU question: Dual Core....

Post by Scintilla » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:56 pm

Pwolf wrote:Only problem i have here is that i don't want to have to buy all new ram and video card cause all the new motherboards only support DDR2 and PCI Express... I've been unsuccessful in finding an intel board or a decent AMD board with DDR and AGP 8x
<a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 22">Here's a whole mess of 'em on Newegg</a>.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:07 pm

what about boards that support Core Duo?

Pwolf

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:21 pm

You're not gonna find any that support DDR and AGP.

(I'm fairly sure) the Core 2 Duos require Intel chipsets in the upper 900s, which only support DDR2.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:26 pm

Core Duo and preferably, Core 2 Duo all use DDR2 and afaik, PCI-E since they use the same (newer) motherboards and chipsets that Pentium 4/Ds use.

So if you want to stick with DDR and AGP, your options are to look for Athlon 64 X2 compatible motherboards. Narrowing down Scintilla's linked selection to just Athlon 64 X2 compatible ones, we end up with 4: choose your poison.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:40 pm

well there is a board
but its not that good...
only thing is it has both PCI-E and AGP 8x but the PCI-E is clocked at 4x
it also supports both DDR on 2 slots and the other slots are DDR2
a hybrid board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157092

it does work with core 2 duo if you read all the reviews

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:50 pm

Joe88 wrote:well there is a board
but its not that good...
only thing is it has both PCI-E and AGP 8x but the PCI-E is clocked at 4x
it also supports both DDR on 2 slots and the other slots are DDR2
a hybrid board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157092

it does work with core 2 duo if you read all the reviews
Heh, I think I remember reading about this board. I'm kinda surprised at the Core 2 Duo compatibility, I suppose ASRock is on the ball with the BIOS updates. Weird hybrid boards make me wary though...
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:57 am

My upgrades [did 2 in the past 8 months, I'm crazy like that]

show that going for the newer AM2 or Core Duo is the smarter move...

Why?

Look up prices for DDR memory, they're FLYING through the ceiling.

It's actually CHEAPER to just upgrade to high quality parts than to remain using older tech.

I'm an overclocker madman these days and if you look up OC parts for s939s like say, RAM, and your wallet will be begging for mercy...

First chance I get next year, I'm upgrading again [hopefully later summer at latest] to AM2.

Not a fan of intel by any means, 1 reason:

Integrated RAM Controller on all AMD newer model chips... If you're not sure what that translates to, you check out:

dfi-street.com

I'm on those forums actually ^_^
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

Gox777
Org Profile

Post by Gox777 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:55 pm

I recently helped my friend rebuild his computer using a mobo which was AthlonX2 compatible with DDR and AGP. It's made by Gigabyte (which I know to be good).

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Gigabyte%20K8U-939/

His comp's been running great for a couple months now. I would get the same board if I wanted to upgrade.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:31 pm

get Core Duos out of your head lol unless your looking at laptops (and IMO, core duos are only good for 'desktop replacements' ie week but highly mobile desktops... I'd just get a shuttle HTPC or a Mac Mini). What you want is the core TWO duos ie conroe. And for encodeing purposes you'd want one of the higher end versions (E6600 or Extreme I think?) with 2mb cache (or is it 1mbx2).
Yes, now is the PERFECT time to upgrade but there are a few things to consider. First, of coarse, as had been said, when you upgrade. you'll have to upgrade EVERYTHING (video card, ram, possibly even your soundcard if your old one is integrated. otherwise... I still use my old 1998-ish sound card ;p, but do yourself a favor and buy a new serial hard drive).

Secondly there's all this talk about the new quad core chips intel is readying. Don't bother (even if they ARE in your price range). Quad core won't be relevant until 2007 or at LEAST until Vista ships, also the first chips will just be 2 Core 2s 'sloppily' thrown together. P4 duos on steroids. Don't bother.

Thirdly I'd consider an HTPC or Mac Mini instead. cuts down on the noise/ power used and afaik, it looks better o.0. And just FYI I specifically mention Mac Mini (the newest INTEL one) because that's all the rage now AND (contrary to iPods vs. other mp3 players) it actually makes sence. Ever since Intel found it's way into macs, macs have become the LEADING EDGE of pc development. Macs can also do XP (you may have to get yourself a copy for the license though... doubt they come with one... and only the pro version supports dual core) so even IF you don't like haveing ONE mouse button ;p you can switch it out with your old Logitech MX mouse ;p.

BTW Athlons STILL have the advantage in the HTPC realm. I'd keep that in mind if you decide to go that route.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”