Processor Confusion the Memory Wall and GHz

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:56 pm

die size does tend to decrease when the process is lowered (someone coorect me if I'm wrong here)...but the heat comes from current passing through a very very small "wire" of sorts.

if the process is smaller you can't put as much current through it.
less current = less heat.
(also has to do with the architecture, the athlon64 arcitecture was decisively better than the p4 architecture...for varioous reasons)

for cooling purposes, the cpu cores have a sheath (the metal piece that usually has the core name, brand and mfg info) to increase contact area with a larger heatsink. (more area means more heat can be dissipated)

P4's consume about 82W while athlon64's consume anywhere from 35W-125W
(most consume 65W or 89W)

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:14 pm

HeavyMetal wrote:I'm more of an Amazon fan, but eBay is nice for some things even if is kind of a world wide garage sale.

Not bad Joe88, I always thought you had format to install a HDD. Windows is full of loop holes though. Impressive system. Is it running an atomic telescope?

Any truth to AMD overheating more than Intel? (Though I've heard AMD to be more stable.)
yea pretty neat to do this follow these steps...
I had seen a post a lil while back with someone that was wanting to move there HDD with XP installed from one PC to there new Rig. As Windows XP will not boot if you make a drastic hardware change you have to use the following method to move the HDD to its new home. I knew how to do this but I wanted to make absolutly sure so I contacted a good friend of mine who is the owner of a rather big Computer Repair Shop who confirmed this method to be a good way to make a HDD move with WinXp installed. I am posting this as advice to anyone needing to make such a move. This is simply one method of doing this and may not even be the best but it works and does not seem to have any adverse affects on the
performance of the Operating System.
To perform this method you WILL have to edit your registry if you do not feel comfortable in the Registry of your PC stop here.

This is a simple regedit to perform simply open regedit by clicking on Start > Run > type REGEDIT click ok
In regedit find this key :

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG > SYSTEM > CURRENTCONTROLSET > ENUM

You simply Delete the entire ENUM key close regedit and shutdown your PC right there and move it to you new Rig. Boot the system. When Windows begins to load it will start detecting your new hardware and build your new hardware profiles ( this may take more than one restart of the OS) I have provided a small screen shot of what key to delete for referance.

HeavyMetal
Org Profile

Post by HeavyMetal » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:22 pm

Clever.

I keep my computer pretty well ready to format anyway. Windows has a habit of building up junk overtime. Particularly if you use a lot of third party software. Plenty of other fodder from ads too.

Formating is usually a last resort, but I find it easier than complex solutions. Only takes about an 1hr 20 min to reload all my stuff. Only had to maybe once a year.

So what AMD chip compares to the Core 2?

The construction of the two is a little different in focus so they get hard to compare. I see AMD with high BUS, but could it be overkill?

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:05 pm

well the FX-62 can compete with the low end intel core 2 duo such as the E6300, well thats about it
I mean for the price + 100% OC capable it would be smarter to go with the conroe

HeavyMetal
Org Profile

Post by HeavyMetal » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:21 pm

Excellent. Now I just have to find an OS.

Dell pushes Media Center, but I worry it may be another ME or someting since XP Home and Pro are still around.

Cool rainbow monochrome EVA pic by the way.

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:19 pm

I would just go with Win XP SP2

thanx ^_^

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Re: Processor Confusion the Memory Wall and GHz

Post by OmniStrata » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:11 am

HeavyMetal wrote:First Part:
Pentium 4, Pentium D, Core 2, and Athlon.

First I know nothing of Athlon chips so I would have no clue as to whether I should chose one. Seriously no clue at all, but I have no reason not choose Athlon over Intel.

Is this due to the Memory Wall speed issue? I don't know if a Core 2 with lower GHz will out perform the speed of a higher GHz P4 or PD???

Does FSB and other processor to part connections on newer chips make up for a lower GHz clockspeed so greatly???

Second Part:
Memory slots on the motherboard are the second complication. I see things like 2GB or 4GB limit. Does that mean if a single slot 2GB RAM chip comes out I cannot use it since the board was to house two to four 1GB RAM chips?

Plus I have no idea about the pin numbers for RAM 240 or 185 I think. Not sure if that means one is faster or not.

It would appear getting the fastest RAM possible makes a difference since clockspeed went past the speed of memory access.

Third Part:
PCI and PCIE are limited on motherboards. Is there a way to expand that? I mean cases can have a ton of expansion slots, but that doesn't mean much if you have too few slots on the board.

I would hate to buy a PCI part only to have to unplug another part.

Fourth Part:
Would it be better to buy a 256MB GeForce Vid Card and add a TV tuner or just get an 256MB ATI All in Wonder?

Yeah that part is sort of off topic, but I heard GeForce have higher performance. Plus I don't mind things being separate parts, makes future upgrades easier in a way.

Basically I am looking for a way to compare processors on an equal field to know which to choose. I just have no Athlon knowledge and Intel chips now have varied strengths in different areas.

I like the advances, but it was easier when high Hz meant the better chip.

Sorry for such a mangled question. I guess I was out of the Tech loop for too long.
Being an Overclocker and one who has assembled 4 entire computers myself from the ground up, I've got some info for ya, some experienced and some read from dfi-street.com.

For the record, if you really TRULY want to get your money's worth, you WANT to overclock.

AMD has me as both a customer, and a fanboy, and I used to be a fan of intel myself but unless DFI releases more Intel capable motherboards, I'm stuck with AMD [which is NOT a bad thing]. Don't let these benchmark whiners get the best of ya. Benchmarks do NOT equal realworld performance by any means. You can quote me on that...

Integrated memory Controllers on an amd chip means one thing, no northbridge on your motherboard. What makes that so good? One less part to cool using a fan, less power consumed due to no fan, and the cpu works DIRECTLY with the RAM making faster transfers of information possible. One less part to fail as well...

The new price cuts are quite crazy, I wish I was there to buy my opteron, me and my impatient ass.

Dual Cores definitely make editing easier for me. Or more importantly, rendering. Used to take me 45+ mins. to render 3:30 worth of amv, now takes me 24.

If you want to get the most bang for your buck, I'd highly suggest getting overclocker friendly parts.

Intel's newest chips are hot and outperform what AMDs chips have, but quite frankly, it's still 'new' stuff, and like all new things, there's always room for improvement...

AMDs Opteron series of chips have all been blessed in the overclock dept. since they're server designed and that helps in getting most value out of your hardware...

memory wall shouldn't exist with AMD chips really.

Also, it's known that amd's chips in general do more work per mhz than intel's does. If you wait a bit, I'd see what they got to answer to the core duo...

Hope this helps...
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

Return to “Hardware Discussion”