Laptops and upgrading

Cross/Zero Blues
Org Profile

Post by Cross/Zero Blues » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:08 pm

With all the changes I have done I say go for it. I have pulled more chips and board solders then I can remember even on macs lol.

Anyway just use some Artic Silver 5, check your current cooling make sure its clean and you should be fine.

The cooling on the eMachines M6805-m6811 series was perfect and the chip went from 3000+ to 3400+ without skipping a beat. Using Artic Silver 5 it ran almost as cool as before.

Personally its not something that bothers me so I say why not. However if the graphics card is the 440 nVidia I think it is then its not worth it as you bottleneck is the GPU.

Anyway Again I say go for it its fun and its custom fit for you.

(If you check the hard forums on the laptop mentioned above you will see it got awsome reviews for over a year which is unheard of with PC laptops it was actually about 2.5 years. And its still considered a great laptop. I know it can go further then the 3400+ as I have a friend locally who has used the new Processor cores with it however I can not speak for exactly what he used... I am adhd and I was not paying atten at the time as I was distracted by..... the opposite sex lol)

If it is the 440 nvidia check out the m6805 and up on eBay they are about 500-800 and have a ATI 9600 that OC's Well beyond anything normal. They really were a great laptop. Played Doom 3 very nicely. I seem to remember the Aquamark3 Bench stock being around 28k and OC's I got a 31k I believe.
I stayed up one night playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and 4 people died.
"Bub's are you an unethical quack?" - Homestar Runner
"Aww, now my heads not taped to the TV." - Strong Bad

Cross/Zero Blues
Org Profile

Post by Cross/Zero Blues » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:09 pm

Joe88 wrote:And get a intel core duo based laptop
intel kinda owns there, AMD turion doesnt even match it at all based on bench marks

Your compairing a NEW dual core that was just released to a Turion that has been around. Wait for the dual cores to match that processor and then grade them. I think you will see a different ball game.
I stayed up one night playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and 4 people died.

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:37 pm

Cross/Zero Blues wrote:
Joe88 wrote:And get a intel core duo based laptop
intel kinda owns there, AMD turion doesnt even match it at all based on bench marks

Your compairing a NEW dual core that was just released to a Turion that has been around. Wait for the dual cores to match that processor and then grade them. I think you will see a different ball game.
the turion 64 dual-core just came out
AMD is too busy trying to counter the Core 2 Duo right now to worry about a laptop core
because they now if they put try to put their stongest cores then intel will put the Core 2 Duo in it...

Cross/Zero Blues
Org Profile

Post by Cross/Zero Blues » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:17 pm

Intel has been playing catch up for some time. While this came about by Intel dropping the ball I doubt AMD would make a mistake like that so early on in the game.

Dual Core Pentium M's are a good change of pace but Intel still has a lot of ground to prove on. AMD has already laid that foundation to work upon.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:23 pm

Joe88 wrote:the turion 64 dual-core just came out
AMD is too busy trying to counter the Core 2 Duo right now to worry about a laptop core
because they now if they put try to put their stongest cores then intel will put the Core 2 Duo in it...
Core 2 Duo notebooks are arriving in a few months. AMD has their work cut out for them.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Cross/Zero Blues
Org Profile

Post by Cross/Zero Blues » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:23 pm

I am sure once we see both chipsets get revisions and solid software/firmware in place there will be much different results for both the Pentium M and Turion and I am sure they will both be good improvements.

For me Intel has not been my choice since the AMD K7 Chip's. The P4 was a dissapointment and the Athlon XP -M was my favorite chip. All athlons still hold true to great OCing and lower costs.

Intel has also closed this gap but I am not easily swayed with Intel. I will give both 3-4 months and then review them. By then the systems should be have had the time to address any issues.

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:59 am

ok...

the benchmarks showed from the test batch of Core 2 Duo that the E6600 and up beat out AMD best CPU, though 2 below it are right below the bets AMD core

So you can purchase a E6600 for under $350, which is pretty good
thats not really a need to purchase the EE Core 2 Duo right now
but AMD probably has something up there sleves
its a titter totter for CPU suprmency going one way then the other
but there both good

but one reason I like Intel over AMD is price...
I only owned 2 AMD before
an AMD k6-2 @ 299mhz and another AMD k6-2 @399mhz (lol, I know really old O_o)

Cross/Zero Blues
Org Profile

Post by Cross/Zero Blues » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:35 am

Yes they both look goood but as I said chipset revisons will really make a difference so give it some time. Like I said in 3-4 months check back on both chips. I think the results will show improvements for both. Its going to be close for both but I just pref AMD *shrug* its goood though to have a pref. It means you havve worked with something long enough that your comfortable.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”