Partitioning a big hard drive... for Mac

imuneekru
Org Profile

Partitioning a big hard drive... for Mac

Post by imuneekru » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:55 pm

I just got a 250GB hard drive for my videos, and it's only showing up as 233 gigs. To make a long story short, I've gotten as far as figuring out that I need to partition it in order for all 250GB to show up as usable space.

How do I go about doing that???

Problem is, I'm running a Mac, and all the threads on this topic sound like Microsoft Greek to me. Is there a savvy Mac user out there who can help me?

Here are my specs:
I'm running Mac OSX 10.3 (Panther).
Hard drive is Fantom Drives USB 2.0 250GB 7200rpm, 8MB cache. I think that's all...???

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:30 pm

If the box says 250GB, it's wrong. It's a big marking ploy... if you take 250,000,000,000 bytes (of course not the actual number) and convert it to gigabytes, you'll get roughly 233GB.

Pwolf

imuneekru
Org Profile

Post by imuneekru » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:59 pm

You're kidding. Phooey. Well, at least my faith in my lovely Mac is restored. Oh well, a few gigabytes never killed my spirit. Btw, FAT32 is of the devil. Whoever formatted this thing was a moron. I've got her up and running now. :) Thanks for the tip.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:01 pm

imuneekru wrote:You're kidding. Phooey. Well, at least my faith in my lovely Mac is restored. Oh well, a few gigabytes never killed my spirit. Btw, FAT32 is of the devil. Whoever formatted this thing was a moron. I've got her up and running now. :) Thanks for the tip.
lol, well i assume they formated it so it would be compatible on all platforms.

Pwolf

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:57 am

imuneekru wrote:You're kidding. Phooey. Well, at least my faith in my lovely Mac is restored. Oh well, a few gigabytes never killed my spirit. Btw, FAT32 is of the devil. Whoever formatted this thing was a moron. I've got her up and running now. :) Thanks for the tip.
FAT32 is from Microsoft, so...

Also, 250GB on the box is not wrong, if you count the way HDD manufacturers count a gigabyte (1 billion bytes (1,000,000,000 bytes)) and not how software companies count a gigabyte (1,024 megabytes (2^30 bytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes)). Misleading, perhaps. Some companies do put a disclaimer or their definition of a gigabyte on the box, some don't. Marketing at work, you gotta love it.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:06 pm

Directory info also takes up a bit of space
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”