Pinnacle DV500 DVD??

Jas113
Org Profile

Pinnacle DV500 DVD??

Post by Jas113 » Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:40 am

I have a question about this piece of hardware. This is probably directed at Justin Ermac because i know he has this card. Does it process DV and MPEG2 in realtime. What will this card actually do different then say a DC30? or just a plain firewire card. Thanks for your opinions and help!

Jas113
Org Profile

Post by Jas113 » Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:54 am

also.... with this will i be able to import mpeg2 directly into premiere w/o converting to huffy? Thanks

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:20 am

I know this stuff and I don't even have one (I asked ErMaC questions about it because I thought I was getting it for hanuakkah)

It only processes DV in realtime, I believe. It adds an Edit Mode to Premiere so that you can edit in DV directly in realtime in Premiere. With this card and the newest drivers, you can import MPEG2 files into Premiere in any Edit Mode, I believe. The card also speeds up previewing, so that it doesn't take forever to make a preview of one or two special effects in Premiere.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:57 am

ErMaC has a DV500....

Answers:

Realtime DV = Yes
Realtime MPEG2 = Should, sorta, maybe. Justin had <A href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... t=5570">el problems</a> when he tried doing so while following Quu's <a hreg="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/legacy/ ... c1000.html"> guide</a>.

DC30, is a regular analog capture card does not support DV and does not aid in realtime editing. The DV200, is just a DV capture device, does not allow for realtime editing.

~klinky

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:07 am

It can't do realtime MPEG2, it can just supposedly import them. But I've failed to have any luck when trying to do so, or at least it works but it looks like crap.

What it does do:
Captures DV video from both Firewire and Analog inputs (S-video/composite+RCAstereo for audio). A regular firewire card can't do that.
Allows Premiere to operate on DV files in realtime, as long as a certain stable of effects and transitions are used and nothing else (once you add in other filters you must render them, but...)
Speeds up render times by accellerating the DV compression process in hardware. At least it's certainly faster than I would expect from my system.

Jas113
Org Profile

Post by Jas113 » Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:36 am

Overall, Mostly I am using footage from DVD to I just rip them and use them acordingly. Would the product be worth the pricetag for my use. Thanks for the help!

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:08 pm

as a referance... the DV500 DVD is the DV500 with a software upgrade

the onlything you can not download from the website if you hve an older DV500 to make it a DV500 DVD is the TRex software (which is a coversion program, converts videos from AVI to MPEG-1-4)

so if you have an older DV500 don't worry... just download the latest drivers and TMPGenc(for mpeg-1 and2) and VirtualDub and XVid (for mpeg-4) and your set...

the next driver release for the DV500 is going to be really good... i have been testing it... the firewire port becomes a standard OHCI port, and you can plug HDs to it...
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:19 pm

FINALLY I'll get some HD and networking support on those firewire ports. It pissed me off to no end that I couldn't hook up firewire drives to that port.

Jas113
Org Profile

Post by Jas113 » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:03 pm

Wait, that doesnt answer my question. Look above. Thanks!

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:17 pm

Jas113 wrote:Wait, that doesnt answer my question. Look above. Thanks!

Well ErMaC couldn't get the MPEG2 features to work :p

So the answer would be no.

~klinky

Return to “Hardware Discussion”