Laptops for Video Editing

rhkaloge
Org Profile

Laptops for Video Editing

Post by rhkaloge » Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:09 am

My new job is going to be sending me on the road alot, and I'd like to get a laptop to take with me to do work (yea right) and to pass the time. And there is nothing I like better to pass the time with than making AMVs. But I suspect that there are things that a laptop cannot do that I do on my desktop. I was just wondering if anyone out there uses a laptop to work on AMVs and what they use? I figure at the very least I can watch DVDs to get ideas. Would it be possible to rip dvds and convert clips on a laptop, or is that way too much memory usage? So what do you guys do and use? BTW, I'm open to both mac and PC ideas.

Skippy

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:44 am

I use to use a laptop, problem is they often don't have the ram or space capabilities you get from a PC. Most will cause you problems with a capture card so I recomend purchasing external hardware for you capturing needs. To even suit my basic requirements I had to have a custom built laptop for AMV editing, which I recomend over a store purchased PC anytime. All my computers are custom built and upgraded.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Mask of Destiny
Org Profile

Post by Mask of Destiny » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:15 pm

I have one of the higher end IBM A31ps. It has a 1.8GHz P4, a 60GB 5400RPM hard drive, 256MB RAM (upgradeable to 1GB), S-Video In and Out, Firewire, 1600x1200 LCD (great for all those stupid palettes), ATI FireGL 7800 w/ 64MB video RAM. Premier runs pretty well on it. It would be nice to have a faster drive, but they don't make 7200 RPM 2.5" drives so you might want to consider an external firewire drive. I haven't actually tried to do any serious editing on it yet. The only time I tried to edit on the machine at all was before I installed HuffYUV and the hard drive isn't fast enough to play uncompressed video in real time so it was rather painful. The video out works pretty well, but I haven't tried the video in.

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:38 pm

I use an Apple iBook and the only piece of hardware I need is the external FireWire hard drive all laptops will need for AMV creation. As long as you have a DVD drive (CD-RW/DVD combo drives are best) and that external drive you are set to go with DVD ripping and the later editing. I would recommend an large internal hard drive (like around 30-40 GB) just because I find I keep a lot of things on my laptop since it travels all over town with me.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”