Video Card - Important?

WanderingWombat
Org Profile

Video Card - Important?

Post by WanderingWombat » Mon May 02, 2005 1:06 pm

You'd think for something like an AMV, it'd be data-intensive, not video-intensive. My machine... well, it sucks by todays standards, it's a Frankenstein. This, and my last four machines, I built from parts. It's strong enough for everything I've done up to now, but I wanna get into AMV creation.

AMD 1.4 Ghz
384 megs RAM
On-board video

Is this good for making basic stuff, learning how to use the software, etc? Or will I just be spinning my wheels?
Posessions are fleeting... sacrifices are forever.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon May 02, 2005 1:19 pm

My integrated video card's always served me just fine (and it's from 2002).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

oldwrench
Org Profile

Post by oldwrench » Mon May 02, 2005 11:05 pm

Great amv's have been created on much inferior equipment. High end video cards are mostly important for 3d intensive tasks like gaming and cad work. The prossessor, memory, hard drive space and software are much more important for fast efficient video creation.
Where did you say I'm going?.... And what am I doing in a handbasket?

Come and join us on the tiny but fun forum at http://www.allanime.org

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Tue May 03, 2005 7:28 am

basicaly a video card makes 0 difference when editing. However the 9x and X series radeons, and 5x and newer geforce cards can artificialy improve video quality when it comes to aliasing and macro blocking. But this is a function of the video card so the vid woent appear as clean on something with a lower quality graphics card.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Tue May 03, 2005 1:37 pm

There are a couple of areas where the choice of vid card might be relevant. Editing can always use more screen space. That requires a card that can handle high resolutions and that has a decent amount of its own memory. Unfortunately, the mainboards with on-board graphics usually steal some of the system memory for the display, requiring a tradeoff that is not necessary with a separate graphics card.

If you want the convenience and space of a dual monitor setup, the vid card will need that capability.

And....if you're moving to an LCD monitor, the card should have a DVI output.

yesid
Org Profile

Re: Video Card - Important?

Post by yesid » Mon May 16, 2005 11:00 am

WanderingWombat wrote:You'd think for something like an AMV, it'd be data-intensive, not video-intensive. My machine... well, it sucks by todays standards, it's a Frankenstein. This, and my last four machines, I built from parts. It's strong enough for everything I've done up to now, but I wanna get into AMV creation.

AMD 1.4 Ghz
384 megs RAM
On-board video

Is this good for making basic stuff, learning how to use the software, etc? Or will I just be spinning my wheels?

madbunny
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Thu May 19, 2005 10:42 pm

TaranT wrote:If you want the convenience and space of a dual monitor setup
You want that if you can afford it.
the vid card will need that capability.
Dual output video cards are inexpensive (in the 30-50 dollar range). The extra monitor now.... that's another story.
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”