Ripping DVD video without a DVD drive.

This forum is for help with and discussion about your video hardware.

Ripping DVD video without a DVD drive.

Postby CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:13 am

I know this may seem stupid question but is it possible to rip DVD video from a DVD player, or is it only doable with a DVD drive in a comp?
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab
CaTaClYsM

Postby FurryCurry » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:16 am

Well, you could buy a capture card, one with drivers available that ignore macrovision, but that would cost more than a DVD drive, be harder to use, and take more time, so basically, no.
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.
FurryCurry

Postby klinky » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:17 am

Hook the DVD player up to a capture card yes ;p

You have to worry about macrovision though :\ and the kwality will probably be teh suck compared to ripped footage.

~klinky
klinky

Postby CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:38 pm

well I have 2 capture cards, how can I tell if they ignore macrovision?
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab
CaTaClYsM

Postby klinky » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:42 pm

type in the model numbers/name + macrovision at yahoo

~klinky
klinky

Postby CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:52 pm

It's a ADS Technologies Instant DVD. I read a review that said that it does disable macrovision, I plan on giving it a test run in an hour or so to see if the review was true.
CaTaClYsM

Postby CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:06 pm

btw, what would I need to do to preserve qualty? And how much will be lost?
CaTaClYsM

Postby klinky » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:16 pm

I am guessing it'll look good enough for a AMV ;p

Uhh encode in HuffYUV for maxo quality savings.

Other then that use a good mjpeg codec or if the hardware supports a native codec use that :\

~klinky
klinky

Postby CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:19 pm

what about going uncompresed AVI, and then converting it using VDUB into a 700 meg DIVX vid?
CaTaClYsM

Postby klinky » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:22 pm

divx= teh bad :\

You probably can't do uncompressed AVI, you'd get dropped frames from so much data going through.

HuffYUV would better, and it would be best to keep it in HuffYUV and edit with that then it would to convert it to a divx file :\

~klinky
klinky

Postby CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:09 pm

How would I get dropped frames? I don't know exactly what is needed but I am sure that this comp has it.
CaTaClYsM

Postby klinky » Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:20 pm

Well to capture uncompressed video @ 640x480 @ 29.97fps you would need a sustained transfer rate of 26.3MegaBytes/sec. Most hard drives aren't going to provide that to you.

My 7200rpm drives can do around 28MB/sec sustained, but the longer and father along the drive you go, the slower it gets, some parts slow down to 13 - 10MB/sec. Which would mean you'd start dropping frames like crazy.

Also the question is why? A uncompressed RGB avi has no benefits over huffYUV compressed avi. The HuffYUV is just smaller.

Then the fact that you're thinking of converting it to a 600MB divx file!? There is no point to that as you'd just spent upwards of 60+ GB capturing the footage, why fuck up your kwality by converting it down to only a 600MB divx file. Further more why even capture in HuffYUV or Uncompressed RGB, just capture in DivX if that's what you plan to do anyways, it would save you some time(not suggesting you do anything with divx though, except for final export).

Most computers will choke when trying to capture/process uncompressed AVI simply because there is so much data.

~klinky
klinky

Postby CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:28 pm

It would be 700 megs not 600, I just thought that capturing it as an uncompressed AVI would help sustain the quality over the transfer. And it wouldn't just be to DIVX, I would also be monkeying around trying to make a decend VCD as well. This comp has 512 megs of RAM, a 1.1 GHz P3 as well. I would HOPE my comp could send over an uncompressed AVI. My Main focus is to have the best quality. How much would I loose after having it go from huffYUV over to MPG, that I would not loose if it were an uncompressed AVI?
CaTaClYsM

Postby klinky » Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:56 pm

HuffYUV is lossless, read up. Lossless = NO QUALITY LOSS. It uses a quick form of the huffman compression algorithm to compress YUV color data. huffman is lossless, it could be compared to what ZIP files use to compress things like programs and data files, which if a chunk was missing out of there then you'd be screwed.

Anyways. There is really no difference. Besides the possibility of a odd bug in huffYUV that pops up from time to time, where your video gets rainbow colors mixed in it, there is no quality difference between huffYUV and uncompressed RGB video.

HuffYUV is still huge, but it's quick and does reduce the load that your hard drive uses. for 640x480 video @ 29.97. I'd say it's about 700 - 900MB/Min. Uncompressed would be about 1500MB/min.

600MB - 700MB, it doesn't matter you're compressing it down big time anyways. Also Premiere doesn't like divx most of the time, so you'd be walking on a thin line there.

One more thing to think about @ 700MB/min, you're looking at 16.5GB per 24minute episode. You'd be better off capturing only portions you need and not the entire DVD.

~klinky
klinky

Postby CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:09 pm

Well, I'm sold. And BTW, I am well versed in the horrors of the Premiere/Divx relationship.
CaTaClYsM

Next

Return to Video Hardware Discussion