I have a Mac...Now what do I do?

This forum is for help with and discussion about your video hardware.

Postby Red Wolf » Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:01 am

The MPEG-2 component looks interesting...up until I hit the system requirements. "500MHz PowerPC G4 or faster." Oh well, so much for MPEG-2 for me.

I've tried the MegaPEG demo. Easy to use but I wasn't overly impressed (are we seeing a pattern?). I certainly wasn't going to put down the $299 price on it without seeing a darn good improvment over my MPEG-1s.
Red Wolf

Postby GAlbright » Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:28 pm

500MHz G4? What?! Wow, I didn't see that part...

Jeez, that doesn't make much sense. You don't need a Mac that muscular just to play a DVD... I wonder why the requirements for this are that much higher...
GAlbright

Postby Red Wolf » Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:27 pm

Adobe announced Preimere 6.5 which will finally bring Premiere into OS X (the last big Adobe program to go to OS X I might add). The good news, Premiere 6.5 offers real time editing *cough*Final Cut Pro*cough*. The bad news, while the Windows version will include built in MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 compression, the Mac version will required DVD Studio Pro in order to do MPEG-2 encoding. You will be able to encode straight from the timeline *cough*Final Cut Pro*cough* but Adobe is not adding their own MPEG technology to the Mac version (insert colorful metaphor here). Maybe Adobe will decide Apple is a good DV editor and that they want to compete with Final Cut Pro by version 7.

To update from Adobe Premiere 6.0 to Adobe Premiere 6.5 is set to cost $150.
Red Wolf

Previous

Return to Video Hardware Discussion