DVD rips display grain, Tried everything....

Ikasu
Org Profile

DVD rips display grain, Tried everything....

Post by Ikasu » Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:24 am

Hopefully someone can help me out here....I hope it will be ErMaC since he has the most experience in this matter. I've been moving towards DVD ripping since I'm a perfectionist and quality freak but my DVD rips seem to be grainy....I can't explain it...I've tried 2 different ASPI systems from different companys....Adaptec and this company called VOB....But I ended up going back to adaptec.....I've tried using Smart Ripper which I really like and DVD Decryptor which is also a great ripper.

I've tried MANY different settings with ASPI and without. I've also used DVD2AVI to open a VOB file DIRECTLY from the DVD and it's still grainy....I can't explain what it is...I've tried using my Blade II, Vampire Hunter D Blood lust, and Samurai X (Rurouini Kenshin OVA's). After seeing ErMaC's Tsugaru video I saw the quality and wanted to do that from now on for my source files. But it seems it isn't working too well for me...My computer specs are as follow:

Dual AMD MP 1800's
Geforce 4 TI 4600
2 Gigs of pc2100 DDR ram
Sony DVD-ROM DDU1621 (I believe it's 12X...maybe 10X...but doubt it...Althought it maybe 16X...not sure...I think it's 12 though)
Plextor Plexwriter 24/10/40 CD-RW
Tyan Tiger sp2466 motherboard
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum

I don't know what the problem with this DVD ripping is....all I know is I've been working for OVER 8 hours now and still haven't come up with a result.. I was thinking it MAY be software DVD decoders but I'm not experienced enough to actually know if they can cause a problem...I installed Power DVD and it always gets illegal op's till recently...but then I uninstalled it and re-installed a newer version and the illegal ops are back....I also installed Orion Studios Direct DVD 4.77 and it installed some software DVD video and audio decoders but I uninstalled them thinking that may have been the problem........I've also ran the same ripping with the same software off my old PC which is a single processor and I got the same problem....My old pc specs are:

Intel PIII 933
512 MB RD ram
Matrox G450 Dual Head
Sound Blaster Live Platinum
Pioneer 10X dvd rom
Sony 10/4/24 CD-RW

....Well...That's all that comes to mind now reguarding this situation....I just hope that someone can help me with this situation...

CArnesen
Org Profile

Re: DVD rips display grain, Tried everything....

Post by CArnesen » Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:37 am

Ikasu wrote:I installed Power DVD and it always gets illegal op's till recently...but then I uninstalled it and re-installed a newer version and the illegal ops are back....
Sounds like you might want to go ahead and rebuild your hard drive image, that is formatting your hard drive and reinstalling everything.

My Power DVD was getting worse and worse at playing back DVDs and I decided to go ahead and format my drive and reinstall Win2k and now it is working like a dream again!

--Chris ^^

Ikasu
Org Profile

Post by Ikasu » Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:12 pm

This happened last time to...Before my current format....I don't really care about getting Power DVD to work....I just want high quality DVD rips...

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:17 pm

any chance you could post some screenshots?

Ikasu
Org Profile

Post by Ikasu » Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:46 pm

Here are 5 consecutive screen shots....5 frames in a row of the Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust DVD....They are in BMP form so they are exact frames from the dvd rip....Not compressed JPG....I have zipped them up into one file...it's 2.2 megs...Hopefully you all are on broadband...if not dial up should take no more then about 8 minutes....

ftp://ftp.smoothestudios.com/pub/5f.zip

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:45 pm

Are you sure that a grain filter isn't attached to inputs LEFT_EYE and RIGHT_EYE?

Seriously, maybe it's just me and the fact that I'm currently using an LCD, but I can't see how there's a problem. Her arms and hair are a bit grainy, but are you sure that isn't just the way that your DVDs are?

If so, is there a loose connection between the drive and the data cable? Maybe your computer is near a source of electrical noise? (I'm really reaching here, but I've never seen grain introduced into my video because of a DVD ripper...)

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:53 pm

Yeah, it looks like ordinary film noise to me.

If you really think it's a concern then I'd recommend going to the avisynth forum on doom9.org and looking for a thread called mpeg2decPP or similar by MarcFD.

It's a new version of mpeg2dec which includes post-processing routines. They're really nice too and if it passes my stability tests it will be included in the next AMVapp.

Ikasu
Org Profile

Post by Ikasu » Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:22 pm

My dual AMD MP system is BADLY configured...HORRID...I'm planning to trade it in for a system my friend is going to build me....so I just hope everything runs smoothly...

Coderjo
Org Profile

Post by Coderjo » Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:52 am

The grainyness in those images is either film grain, compression artifacts, digitizing artifacts, or a combination of the above. My bet is on compression artifacts.

Coderjo
Org Profile

Post by Coderjo » Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:53 am

er, I should have also mentioned that if it is any of those, then the only thing you can do is do some post-processing to remove them. It isn't a problem with your system.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”