R1, R2, tie a shoe....

This forum is for help with and discussion about your video hardware.

R1, R2, tie a shoe....

Postby Akashio » Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:58 pm

Whats the difference between R1 and R2 DVDs?
Akashio

Postby MistyCaldwell » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:22 pm

Think of it kinda like NTSC and PAL or SECAM. It's just a different way for the DVD to be read. I believe R1 is what most domestic dvd players read. But there are region free players (Apex makes some). R2 is what is released in the UK and Japan.
why is it this way? I don't know. The reason for NTSC and PAL makes sense...but dvd technology shouldn't have been for the same reason.
MistyCaldwell

Postby Akashio » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:42 pm

is the quality affected?
Akashio

Postby MistyCaldwell » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:50 pm

The quality of analog types like NTSC, PAL, and SECAM are different. I believe I heard SECAM has the best quality due to higher frame rates. I have never seen it although I have seen PAL and I find things animated in PAL awkward. I think it has a frame rate of 27 maybe? NTSC is 29.97

I can't imagine dvds would be different when talking about regions. I don't think that has anything at all to do with quality, it's just encoded differently, if that is even the right term for it.
MistyCaldwell

Re: R1, R2, tie a shoe....

Postby dokidoki » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:54 pm

Akashio wrote:Whats the difference between R1 and R2 DVDs?

Basically, the R[number] system was implemented so that you can't play discs from one region in another region. (unless you have a player that supports that)

I recommend reading this section on region codes:
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.10

In certain cases, some R2 anime DVDs can be much higher quality than the R1 release because the North American company did a poor job on it, got a bad master, or whatever. I hear the R1 Wings of Honneamise is pretty bad compared to the R2, and the R1 release of Spring and Chaos was actually recalled, it was so bad on first release. (I remember that the first version got a "D" in video quality in a review on www.animeondvd.com . They posted a pretty bad picture of it)
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki
Free games! (some left) // "Anybody want a pizza roll?"
dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y

Postby kthulhu » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:58 pm

There is no quality difference between different DVD regions. The apparent reason for the regioning, to me, is that media companies have some shit about not wanting people to be able to view and, more importantly, sell DVDs in other regions, as well as for anti-piracy. Think about it this way:

If "Movie X" were really big here in the US and Japan, but got released on DVD here in the US first, some enterprising person in the US could sell the DVDs mail order or directly in Japan, without giving the movie companies any money beyond the initial DVD purchases. With regioning the movie companies can control the release and sales of DVDs.

As for piracy, Hong Kong, for instance, is region 6, I believe. The US is region 1. The idea is that a region 1 disc will not play in a region 6 player, and vice versa, so there is less of a chance that some HK pirate will rip, copy, and undersell the movie companies. Of course, it hasn't panned out that way, so regioning has become more of an annoyance, if anything. There are, as Misty mentioned, region free players, and most computer DVD drives seem to be region free also.

<a href="http://hometheaterinfo.com/dvd3.htm">DVD region list</a>.
I'm out...
kthulhu

Postby kthulhu » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:59 pm

Ok, I take back the quality difference statement,somewhat. IDEALLY, there is no difference.
I'm out...
kthulhu

Postby MistyCaldwell » Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Ahaaaa, companies wanting to control who can watch the dvd, when and where...of course control would be the answer why there are regions.

I never knew it was just a "key number" on the disc and nothing more. I'm going to go hug my region free dvd player now
MistyCaldwell

Postby MistyCaldwell » Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:03 am

kthulhu wrote:Ok, I take back the quality difference statement,somewhat. IDEALLY, there is no difference.

Yeah, that has more to do with a crappy remaster job, nothing to do with the region code
MistyCaldwell

Postby NME » Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:24 am

Plus some standards allow for better image quality because of a higher res and different frame rate. I personally think PAL DVD's look awesome when compared to an NTSC DVD. But thats just my opinion.
nil per os
NME

Postby klinky » Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:35 am

NME wrote:Plus some standards allow for better image quality because of a higher res and different frame rate. I personally think PAL DVD's look awesome when compared to an NTSC DVD. But thats just my opinion.

Region coding is specific to DVDs ;p All it does is prevent a DVD from playing in a DVD player not found the same region.

PAL could very well look nicer what with it's higher resolution and since most film and anime is @ 24fps in the first place while PAL is @ 25fps. More 'bandwith'(I don't know the proper term), is put in the image rather then the frame rate ;\ . Telecining from 24 > 25fps must be a pain. I've heard horror stories of them actually speeding up the audio/video for it to run @ 25fps :{ eek

~klinky
klinky

Postby MistyCaldwell » Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:47 am

Does anyone know, off hand, what the frame rate for SECAM is? I should know this but I must have doodled my cats too much in that class.
MistyCaldwell

Postby NME » Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:51 am

SECAM (Sequential Couleur Avec Memoire or Sequential Colour with Memory (or System Even Crappier than the American Method ;-)) color TV standard was introduced in the early 1960's and implemented in France.

SECAM uses the same bandwidth as PAL but transmits the colour information sequentially. SECAM runs on 625 lines/frame with the same framerate as the PAL does, 25fps.
nil per os
NME

Postby ErMaC » Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:38 am

What NME said.

When they Telecine films for PAL, they do what's called 2:2 pulldown (instead of 3:2 pulldown for NTSC). Basically it means making 2 fields into each frame of video, but that speeds up the film by 1/24 in terms of framerate, so they have speed up the audio, generally by upping the pitch. This can actually change the key of certain songs and stuff, it's really nasty.

The latest WinDVD (v4) implemented a really neat feature - it automatically slows down 25fps PAL DVDs that have 2:2 pulldown to 24fps and slows the audio as well, basically putting it back to normal, in realtime. I thought that was really neat.

I'll still take NTSC over PAL any day, though. PAL DV uses 4:2:0 colorspace (not the 4:2:0 used by MPEG2, BTW, just to confuse you) which sucks for recompressions.
ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG

Postby The Wired Knight » Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:26 pm

They are regions, from different countires for the DVDs. Every country has a different electrical system and thus their DVD players run differently than ours and thus the DVDs are encoded for them. Unless you have a multi-region player you can't watch anything other than Region one and zero. If you want a complete list of regions go to www.animeondvd.com and check their review page.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.
The Wired Knight

Next

Return to Video Hardware Discussion