One or Two???

JCL17
Org Profile

One or Two???

Post by JCL17 » Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:50 am

okie...

Well...I have decided to become a lil more professional...(if that's the term) and start to use two monitors...instead of one...yet haven't bought the stuff I need...

So my question is....Have any or do any of you use two monitors for editin/processin/completin a music video....or in fact any video works?? And if you do use two monitors...do you prefer it that way..or do you prefer to use only one monitor??

BTW....any help about video cards or how I may accomplish this idea of mine would really be appreciated and taken into consideration...

Thx for all your help guys....

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:06 am

If you are in Windows 2000 your only good option is to get 2 video cards. I run win2K and I have an old AGP TNT2 Ultra and an even older PCI ATI Rage IIC as my secondary. They both run 1280x1024, and I span Premiere across them both.

Basically since DirectDraw overlays don't work on a secondary display, I have the timeline stretch between two windows, I have my monitor and clip windows on the primary monitor, and my project bin and other stuff in the secondary display.

Works fine for me.

ErMaC
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:08 am

BTW the reason I mention Win2K is because if you use a single video card to do dual output in Win2K you are stuck with only 1 widescreen display - i.e. you have a single, widescreen virtual monitor, i.e. 2048x768 for example. This is bad because it means dialog boxes and stuff will appear right smack dab inbetween both monitors and get chopped in half. Very annoying.

nVidia had some program that helped to fix this but it was a hack and didn't work right all the time so I said f@#$ it. It also didn't fix the fact that hitting Full Screen in Windows Media Player fullscreened it across both monitors - chopping the video in half.

WinXP fixes the problem and Win98/ME never had it.

JCL17
Org Profile

Post by JCL17 » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:17 am

ErMaC wrote: WinXP fixes the problem and Win98/ME never had it.
Well....right now I am runnin on ME....runnin on a non so good computer for graphic handling...but it does a good job imo....

thx ErMac...and I hope many more will give me opinions and comments....^_^ really appreciate it...

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:29 am

I have that Matrox Parhelia 512 128MB on my wish list, but I know I'll never get it. It supports using one, two or three monitors with one card, but it retails directly from Matrox at $400

ErMaC
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:47 am

Three outputs?? Hot damn, I have GOT to get me one of these! If there's anything better than 2560x1024, it's 3840x1024 :D :D

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:48 am

ErMaC wrote:...WinXP fixes the problem and Win98/ME never had it.
That makes me feel a little better about getting WinXP for my new PC. I also got the Matrox G550 dual-DVI, so eventually I hope to go to a dual monitor setup.

jbone
Org Profile

Re: One or Two???

Post by jbone » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:52 am

JCL17 wrote:okie...

Well...I have decided to become a lil more professional...(if that's the term) and start to use two monitors...instead of one...yet haven't bought the stuff I need...

So my question is....Have any or do any of you use two monitors for editin/processin/completin a music video....or in fact any video works?? And if you do use two monitors...do you prefer it that way..or do you prefer to use only one monitor??

BTW....any help about video cards or how I may accomplish this idea of mine would really be appreciated and taken into consideration...

Thx for all your help guys....
Before you decide to upgrade to a dual-monitor system, you need to figure out exactly why you think you need a second active monitor, and then you need to research all the options available to you.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:55 am

NicholasDWolfwood wrote:I have that Matrox Parhelia 512 128MB on my wish list, but I know I'll never get it. It supports using one, two or three monitors with one card, but it retails directly from Matrox at $400
The downside is that in the 3-monitor configuration, only one can be DVI (i.e. LCD flat, but analog LCD is ok).
http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/parhelia/home.cfm

The Parhelia was too expensive for me this time around. However, this 3-monitor setup is outrageous:
http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/parh ... lehead.cfm

JCL17
Org Profile

Re: One or Two???

Post by JCL17 » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:59 am

jbone wrote: Before you decide to upgrade to a dual-monitor system, you need to figure out exactly why you think you need a second active monitor, and then you need to research all the options available to you.
Yah...I was thinkin on that too....I am doin a lil research on it....

But the reason why I think I need a second active monitor is because I want to expand my abilities and furthermore be able to have a lil more creativeness road as I won't be hold back by timin so much....and I mean timin on the sense of how much time we (the one monitor active users) spend on goin back and forth on timelines and previews and stuff like that....

But I really appreciate your comment jbone....btw do you use a two or one??

Return to “Hardware Discussion”