virtual memory

This forum is for help with and discussion about your video hardware.

virtual memory

Postby Akashio » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:06 am

How do I increase my virtual memory? I want to dedicate 12-20 gigs of space on my D drive for virtual memory. Can anyone help me?[/img]
Akashio

Postby jbone » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:47 am

Depends on which version of Windows you're using. The Windows manual should tell you how.
jbone

98 -_-

Postby Akashio » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:17 am

I'm using Win98 and I lost the manual a LONG time ago. The help topics didn't help either, they just screwed it up.
Akashio

Re: 98 -_-

Postby Sub0 » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:55 am

Akashio wrote:I'm using Win98 and I lost the manual a LONG time ago. The help topics didn't help either, they just screwed it up.

:P 9x is ez it's xp that gives me the 'bird'... in 9x, left click your 'My Computer' icon, select propertys than the settings (I believe it is) tab, than the virtual memory button... than it's pretty self-explanitary from there... settings don't change until you reset the computer.

BTW it's NOT recomended too set your virtual mem higher than you use (since I assume your into vid editing, 5x your ram is more than enough! Otherwise 3x is average) or better yet, get yourself a RAM deffrager from downloads.com.... and look into xp while your at it... it really is ALOT better at this stuff... oh! and you'll see a MAX Virtual RAM setting and Min setting, set them both to the same.
Sub0

Postby jbone » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:05 pm

In 98, you shouldn't need to change your virtual memory settings - Windows defaults to having a dynamically-set page file.
jbone

Postby mofisto » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:26 pm

Well, why you would want to use Virtual Memory I don't know, your much better off buying more memory or going dual CPU. Virtual Memory treats the hard drive as memory. The hard drive is on the order of 10 or more times slower then system RAM. If you are using win98, then you can run into a 2gb file size barrier problem which eliminates a swap file of your size. The hardware setups that I would see having a large swap file would be if you have a RAID controller, and you had it set for stripping and you had UDMA 133 or SCSI hard drives, but even at the fastest with the most tweaked out settings you'll never get a hard drive to mimic memorys speed. Virtual memory is not without its benefits though. I belong to the school of though that Windows piss poorly manages the swap file size, and that the countless file resizes it performs are stupid. I usually set the virtual memory to a RAM size setting for the min and max. Depending on the CPU speed, and amount of availible ram as apposed to total. (I assume win98 will eat 64mb, so anything over that is what I use) And then I usually go with 128mb on a good system, 256mb on a medium system, and 512mb on a piece of crap.

If I where you though, with memory prices I would just buy more memory, or upgrade to a RAID controller, new MB or dual CPUs, virtual memory at best is like having a doodle pad next to you computer when you are typing a paper. Helps with notes, but really isn't needed.
mofisto

Postby nailz » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:00 pm

and why would you want to use 12-20 GIGS? thats insane.
Ploink! Magic Cupcake! <a href="http://www.elvenking.net">Elvenking</a>. I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how awesome I am.
nailz

Postby klinky » Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:18 pm

check out this site:

http://www.pureperformance.com/js/showtip.asp?id=65

should tell you how, and what to set it to.

~klinky
klinky

Postby jbone » Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:35 pm

mofisto wrote:Well, why you would want to use Virtual Memory I don't know, your much better off buying more memory or going dual CPU. Virtual Memory treats the hard drive as memory. The hard drive is on the order of 10 or more times slower then system RAM. If you are using win98, then you can run into a 2gb file size barrier problem which eliminates a swap file of your size. The hardware setups that I would see having a large swap file would be if you have a RAID controller, and you had it set for stripping and you had UDMA 133 or SCSI hard drives, but even at the fastest with the most tweaked out settings you'll never get a hard drive to mimic memorys speed. Virtual memory is not without its benefits though. I belong to the school of though that Windows piss poorly manages the swap file size, and that the countless file resizes it performs are stupid. I usually set the virtual memory to a RAM size setting for the min and max. Depending on the CPU speed, and amount of availible ram as apposed to total. (I assume win98 will eat 64mb, so anything over that is what I use) And then I usually go with 128mb on a good system, 256mb on a medium system, and 512mb on a piece of crap.

If I where you though, with memory prices I would just buy more memory, or upgrade to a RAID controller, new MB or dual CPUs, virtual memory at best is like having a doodle pad next to you computer when you are typing a paper. Helps with notes, but really isn't needed.
jbone

Postby jbone » Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:35 pm

Damn browser choked, let's try this again...

mofisto wrote:Well, why you would want to use Virtual Memory I don't know, your much better off buying more memory or going dual CPU. Virtual Memory treats the hard drive as memory. The hard drive is on the order of 10 or more times slower then system RAM. If you are using win98, then you can run into a 2gb file size barrier problem which eliminates a swap file of your size. The hardware setups that I would see having a large swap file would be if you have a RAID controller, and you had it set for stripping and you had UDMA 133 or SCSI hard drives, but even at the fastest with the most tweaked out settings you'll never get a hard drive to mimic memorys speed. Virtual memory is not without its benefits though. I belong to the school of though that Windows piss poorly manages the swap file size, and that the countless file resizes it performs are stupid. I usually set the virtual memory to a RAM size setting for the min and max. Depending on the CPU speed, and amount of availible ram as apposed to total. (I assume win98 will eat 64mb, so anything over that is what I use) And then I usually go with 128mb on a good system, 256mb on a medium system, and 512mb on a piece of crap.

Wow, Mofisto, that's an awfully hige load of BS for a question with a very simple answer, and behind which you don't even know the motivation. :-D

Upgrading one's system is often not an option - especially for people who aren't sure what exactly is inside the mysterious box, and who are afraid to open it.

Also, upgrading to a dual CPU system has NO bearing WHATSOEVER on memory.

Third, just because virtual memory is slower on a single, stand-alone 7200RPM hard drive doesn't mean it's useless. I do all my editing on my P3-733 with 448MB RAM and 50GB total of non-RAID hard disk space. While I wouldn't say I can edit at the speed of light, and while I do notice when virtual memory is being used, it's not like it has <I>as</I> significant an impact on system performance as you make it out to.
jbone

Postby Akashio » Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:37 pm

Ok I'm in the virtual memory window and I want to specify the settings on my D Drive (since it doesn't contain windows system files) but it says I have -10507MB free on my D drive whereas it says it has 1127MB free for my C drive! Now why would windows give me a negative value for free virtual memory??? If it's relavent at all, I have 50+gigs free on my D drive and 1.10 gigs on my C drive. But thats physical memory isnt it?
Akashio

Postby jbone » Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:34 am

Akashio wrote:Ok I'm in the virtual memory window and I want to specify the settings on my D Drive (since it doesn't contain windows system files) but it says I have -10507MB free on my D drive whereas it says it has 1127MB free for my C drive! Now why would windows give me a negative value for free virtual memory??? If it's relavent at all, I have 50+gigs free on my D drive and 1.10 gigs on my C drive. But thats physical memory isnt it?

The free hard disk space is not physical memory, it's simply free disk space. Physical memory is the amount you have installed as DIMMs in your computer (128MB/256MB/512MB/etc).

It's possible that Windows simply doesn't recognize your D drive as a valid source for use with virtual memory. Why this would happen, though, I have no idea - I don't recall having ever come across that particular problem myself.

Why exactly do you want to change your virtual memory settings? If you don't have enough free space on your C drive, why not simply move files to the other drive?

I've typically found that Win9x boxes work fine when Windows handles virtual memory automatically.
jbone

Postby Sub0 » Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:49 am

Akashio wrote:Ok I'm in the virtual memory window and I want to specify the settings on my D Drive (since it doesn't contain windows system files) but it says I have -10507MB free on my D drive whereas it says it has 1127MB free for my C drive! Now why would windows give me a negative value for free virtual memory??? If it's relavent at all, I have 50+gigs free on my D drive and 1.10 gigs on my C drive. But thats physical memory isnt it?

I've come across that alot and I always end up going crazy and reinstalling Windows 98, but that's just me.... Like I said, Win9x SUCKS at that kinda' stuff..... and just about everything else.
Sub0

Postby klinky » Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:33 am

Lets not forget that AVISynth uses Virtual Memory over regular memory when saving those uncompressed bitmaps. If you disable Virtual Memory you're going to run into problems. Premiere for instance, also likes to grab a nice huge (usually 400MB) chunk of Virtual Memory. Even though I have 1280MB, it still grabs if I disable virtual memory Premiere balks that I don't have enough memory. Most media programs depend on virtual memory in one way or another and are designed that way, so they may not function with virtual memory turned off.

~klinky
klinky

Postby mofisto » Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:00 am

Okay jbone, while upgrading might not be an option, using Virtual Memory in the method inquired about is retarded. I didn't say that it is dumb to use it, just dumb to use 15-20gigs worth.

As for Dual CPU, that does speed up your editing, because while 1 cpu is working on the OS the other can work on the editing. On threaded OSes like Linux and what not, it can turn a 2hour render into 1 - 1.5 hour, a small improvement, but worth it is you are serious about editing.

If you have a P733 and 448mb of RAM of course your system works fine. I was doing my vids on a AMDk6-2 450 with only 64mb of RAM and a 15gb hard drive. While I don't claim to be the best director out there by any means, my videos turned out fine.

If you don't have windows XP then set your virtual memory to something like 256mb or 128mb any more then that is stupid, because then you will start lagging because your hard drive can't move data that fast, even with UDMA.
mofisto

Next

Return to Video Hardware Discussion